Technical Fuel Consumption Checklist

Currently reading:
Technical Fuel Consumption Checklist

nomatter

Hello guys.

I have a 899 Cinq and I was wondering why it consumes 30MPG of petrol (8 liters on 100km).

What should I start checking with? They say the injection system works fine. Oil seems to be good (sticky and not black). What else? Sparks; Plugs; Air filter?

How much should the consumption be?

The octane number of the petrol doesn't seem to matter much (92-95; all the same).

Thanks.

Reset ecu - let it learn again.

Lamda Sensor - measure it with a multimeter

Temperature sensor - measure it with a multimeter

Or it could just be how you are driving it :eek:

Badger_Benji,

I drive very smooth. No overdrive; city traffic mixed with constant-speed driving.

About suggestions you made. Can I have instructions about how to accomplish these tasks?

I don't see any fuel drops in my garage in the morning. There's no smell in the car either.
Does this mean there's no leak?

The tests are all covered in the haynes manual, but will look up the readings when i get home tonight and post them.

No smell is the best to go by, it would be unusual to see damp under the car as it is probably evaporating as fast as its dripping.

Badger_Benji, thanks.

By the way, is there any chance that I get the mentioned Haynes manual in electronic format? I mean the whole book; can I? :)

What other related reading/technical material can I get Cinq concerned?

I get 35 mpg out of my 1.1 sei sporting.

Regardless if i give it a good beating or drive like a 90 year old...

custard boy, thanks for the suggestion :)

Anyway, should I think that sparks/plugs will not be causing the over-fueling issue?
Maybe the air filter?

I think the engine gets a little extra sound too. Not sure though. The engine technicians (more than one) said it's fine, but my friend's Uno has a much less engine noise.

hi guys, how do you rest the ecu?

do you have to take it apart and do somehting, or do you just disconnect the battery for a certain time, so it forgets everyhting??

matt

ive got haynes automotive diagnostic on PDF if anyone is intersested. Havent had a right look but it covers cinqs 899 900 and sporting

nomatter said:
Badger_Benji, thanks.

By the way, is there any chance that I get the mentioned Haynes manual in electronic format? I mean the whole book; can I? :)

What other related reading/technical material can I get Cinq concerned?

if there are any specific parts of cinq haynes manual you need i can scan them for you

mjthompson said:
hi guys, how do you rest the ecu?

do you have to take it apart and do somehting, or do you just disconnect the battery for a certain time, so it forgets everyhting??

matt

matt, as mentioned elsewhere here on the forum, you just have to disconnect the positive plug from the battery battery for 1 hour, then connect the battery and start the engine; let the engine warm up until the cooler kicks in 3 times. then drive the car at all speeds so that the ECU relearns the settings. That's what I extracted from the shared knowledge.

correct me if i'm wrong.

rallycinq said:
How are you measuring the consumption?

Cheers

D

I'm measuring the consumption by putting 10 liters of petrol and measuring the distance till the next time the petrol indicator arrow reaches the same point it was showing when i fueled the car the last time.

then divide the amount of petrol on the kilometrage (gives me how much the car consumes on 1 kilometer; that's something more meaningful for our society).
then, divide 2.4 by the number i obtained as a result of the previous operation and voila, got the MPG meaning.
Was I clear? :)

Last edited:
vandisian said:
ive got haynes automotive diagnostic on PDF if anyone is intersested. Havent had a right look but it covers cinqs 899 900 and sporting

Can you please send it to me, and I guess others will want to have it too.

Thanks.

nomatter said:
I'm measuring the consumption by putting 10 liters of petrol and measuring the distance till the next time the petrol indicator arrow reaches the same point it was showing when i fueled the car the last time.

then divide the amount of petrol on the kilometrage (gives me how much the car consumes on 1 kilometer; that's something more meaningful for our society).
then, divide 2.4 by the number i obtained as a result of the previous operation and voila, got the MPG meaning.
Was I clear? :)

Very clear, but very prone to inaccuracy. I don't think there ius anything wrong with the way of calculating it, only the method. You cannot rely on a Cento gauge to do he same thing twice.

Take out a second mortgage and fill the tank. Drive. Refill tank to same place and do your calculation on the mileage covered.

Its the only accurate way to do it.

Cheers

D

rallycinq said:
Take out a second mortgage and fill the tank. Drive. Refill tank to same place and do your calculation on the mileage covered.

What do you mean by taking out a second mortgage? I didn't get the way. Can you rephrase it?

nomatter said:
What do you mean by taking out a second mortgage? I didn't get the way. Can you rephrase it?

Sorry, dull attempt at humour.

It will cost a bit more to fill the tank than just putting 10 litres in.

Fuel is so expensive over here that filling the tank would require a substantial amount of cash.

A mortgage is the loan used to by a house or similar property.

Cheers

D

Back