Technical Front wipers have a mind of their own

Currently reading:
Technical Front wipers have a mind of their own

blindsideprop

Hi,

I've just bought a Mk2 2004 1.2 Punto for my daughter to learn to drive in. I only paid £350, it was destined for the scrap heap but I decided to have a go at keeping it on the road.

Anyway, having spent another £200 of shocks and service stuff etc, I have a problem with the wipers and would like advice to see if there is a specific part I need to replace.

The front wipers come on every time I start the car. They do 3 wipes and then stop in a random position, I then find myself messing about with the stalk trying to time it so they stop in the down position. (It usually takes 2 or 3 goes).

I was hoping that someone out there has seen and fixed a similar problem and could advise what part is needed.

It's a fun little car which will be ideal for her once I get it sorted.

First thing to check is the chamber below the windscreen. The wiper motor sits there, and can get waterlogged.
Rainwater collects there. It is supposed to drain out. There are two rubber (soft plastic) 'duckbills' that allow the drain, but do get clogged with rotting leaves, so need clearing out twice a year. More often if parked near trees in autumn. Clear the drains, do not remove them, as their purpose is to keep engine fumes out of the cabin. You'll find them at the back of the engine bay, one behind the alternator, the other in a similar position across the car.
If there's lots of water in there, it first gets into the wiper motor connector, then later drains into the cabin, often across the body computer, causing many random electrical issues. Drying out affected electrics with a hairdryer is often all it needs.

Hi,

I've just bought a Mk2 2004 1.2 Punto for my daughter to learn to drive in. I only paid £350, it was destined for the scrap heap but I decided to have a go at keeping it on the road.

Anyway, having spent another £200 of shocks and service stuff etc, I have a problem with the wipers and would like advice to see if there is a specific part I need to replace.

The front wipers come on every time I start the car. They do 3 wipes and then stop in a random position, I then find myself messing about with the stalk trying to time it so they stop in the down position. (It usually takes 2 or 3 goes).

I was hoping that someone out there has seen and fixed a similar problem and could advise what part is needed.

It's a fun little car which will be ideal for her once I get it sorted.
Under the electrical connection to the wiper unit there are two contacts and a circular track with a gap in it. That system is used to park the wipers. The car will normally immediately find the parking position if the wipers are not parked when you start the car. It could be it tries to find the parking position within 3 rotations of the circular track before it gives up trying. You can remove the metal part with the connectors and check those contacts.

Back