Technical Front suspension

Currently reading:
Technical Front suspension

Hi peoples,

I couldn't find an existing thread about this but I have a question about the standard front suspension on my 1.9JTD.

Traveling at moderate speed over sudden dips/bumps cause a loud thud noise after the crest of the hump.

I'm wondering whether this is the rebound damping and if it is a normal thing to be happening. It feels as though the springs extend instantly causing a bang from the front end.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: THIS HAPPENS ON BOTH SIDES, CAR HAS 20,000 miles

H

Last edited:
First off chech your springs as they break (very common) (n) whilst your looking there check that the rubber mounting on the lower part of the suspension arm hasn't come adrift, if all looks ok get back to us

Karl

Traveling at moderate speed over sudden dips/bumps cause a loud thud noise after the crest of the hump.

I'm wondering whether this is the rebound damping and if it is a normal thing to be happening. It feels as though the springs extend instantly causing a bang from the front end.
As said, check for broken springs (but strange to be broken on both sides :chin:)

Most likely cause is that the undertray is hanging a little low (maybe not refitted properly)

I'm assuming you have oem springs fitted as fitting the wrong springs to a JTD can cause a major damper/spring mismatch resulting in what you describe.

My springs broke in unison a couple of months back. I've had new spings and drop links.... but after a few 100miles the occasional creak/rattle returns. Its totally random and i've put it down to a Stilo quirk. Car handles perfectly and the tracking is spot on, its just the suspension likes to tell you its doing it work on some speed bumps lol.

Planning on checking the springs tomorrow.

I'm not experiencing poor handling or any creaking. The only noise is more of a "thud" when the springs extend (only on sudden dips or drops when going over about 40mph) No noises under compression or cornering.

Back