General Front Shocks

Currently reading:
General Front Shocks

altria

Hi, The front Shocks have gone on my Mk1 punto, Kwick-fit quoted me £190 for new ones.

My local independent Fiat dealer has quoted me £120.

On shop-for-part, they are £77.30 inc p&p..Im sure i can get them for a bit less at my local moter store.....But i want to know how easy they are to change?

Any help/advise will be grateful.

Thanks Alex Altria

Hi mate,

Theyre not too dificalt to change, however, you will need a set of spring compressors to remove the springs from the old shocks. Also, be prepared to have a fight with some of the bolts.. normaly there is always one that wont shift or will snap off! Be carefull too, as its a dangerous process as the compressed springs can be like mini metal missiles if they arent in the spring compressor properly etc!

Good luck

Your looking at £10 -£20 for spring compressors, i tried to do mine myself and ended up just talking the struts to my local garage and they fitted the new springs onto them for free. The problem i had was getting the new springs on, i had three spring compressors and for the life of me i couldnt compress them enough. Give the garage another call and get a price for putting the springs on. It would take them like 15mins max to do the both of them.

did mine all round on gmax springs and shocks for £190 (inc spring compressors)

i've done a guide in the guide section

my local mechanic quoted me £55 inc. vat per shocker fitted or if you got hold of the shocker £25 per corner.

but like i said i did it myself. if you use spring compressors buy some with some good teeth and enough length and place them equidistant around the spring and tension equally.

another tip if you do it yourself, llosen the 19mm strut nut (with the 6mm allen key and 19mm ring spanner) with the car still on floor otherwise you'll need a wizzy gun.

Coilsprings are dangerous when compressed, ive broken my hand on one when if fired out of a compressor doing job with a mate, didnt half bloody hurt, just glad it didnt take off.

If your not confident, get a garage to do it, use the guides on here to remove the strut, then get a new one sorted at a garage and re-install them your self, would be cheaper due to less labour charge.

Back