Technical Front Shock Absorber bolts

Currently reading:
Technical Front Shock Absorber bolts

Last edited:
Thannnnnnnnk you for all the replies, appreciate that a lot. So got the bolts on eBay for £4 each and the nuts for 25p each from local store. The bolts were the same as the Mk 1
The bolts are as corroded as hell, I’ve done this job before on my last Punto and it took ages to remove them, these ones have never been off yet (2005). Unlike most bikes where the owner usually takes a bit of effort and care greasing and cleaning things regularly, most car owners don’t give a Trump and run the vehicle into the ground. Ok so access to some many parts is a little more effort but not that much.
The O/S shock has been trashed for around 3 months now, surprisingly it hasn’t got any worse, but really looking forwards to doing this job, and feeling the difference. In the 6 years of owning 2 Punto’s the cars must have only been off the road less that 7 days in total, done several jobs, which always have been manageable, with the help of the Haynes, You Tube and this forum ???. I was actually looking to buy a polo recently but everyone I checked out was stupidly overpriced too much mileage and looking at the MOT history wasn’t very reassuring, so why spend £5000+ In the end I’ve found another Punto MK2 ? £950 which will be my dearest yet
£700 and £350 previously, but it’s been stored for 12 years and has only 32k on the clock, great wee cars.

Unless you can be confidant of the supplier you need to go to the dealer for this OEM part.

I absolutely never go to the dealer for original parts for any bike or car, unless it’s a part that is crucial and is made poorly by an aftermarket company. RD350LC throttle cable being one rare example. The bolts I was looking for here were £16 last time I rang up!

Thannnnnnnnk you for all the replies, appreciate that a lot. So got the bolts on eBay for £4 each and the nuts for 25p each from local store. The bolts were the same as the Mk 1
The bolts are as corroded as hell, I’ve done this job before on my last Punto and it took ages to remove them, these ones have never been off yet (2005). Unlike most bikes where the owner usually takes a bit of effort and care greasing and cleaning things regularly, most car owners don’t give a Trump and run the vehicle into the ground. Ok so access to some many parts is a little more effort but not that much.
The O/S shock has been trashed for around 3 months now, surprisingly it hasn’t got any worse, but really looking forwards to doing this job, and feeling the difference. In the 6 years of owning 2 Punto’s the cars must have only been off the road less that 7 days in total, done several jobs, which always have been manageable, with the help of the Haynes, You Tube and this forum ???. I was actually looking to buy a polo recently but everyone I checked out was stupidly overpriced too much mileage and looking at the MOT history wasn’t very reassuring, so why spend £5000+ In the end I’ve found another Punto MK2 ? £950 which will be my dearest yet
£700 and £350 previously, but it’s been stored for 12 years and has only 32k on the clock, great wee cars.
While more bike owners do take care I definitely wouldn't say its most just have to look at some of the crap on the road to see that

I absolutely never go to the dealer for original parts for any bike or car, unless it’s a part that is crucial and is made poorly by an aftermarket company. RD350LC throttle cable being one rare example. The bolts I was looking for here were £16 last time I rang up!

I am not sure how it works but there is a possibility if you put a 25P nut on a car and then have an accident the insurance company are going to say you have modified the car. The nuts and bolts for the shock absorbers have an unusual hardening and they are done up very tightly.

You can probably find a lawyer to give you horror stories as to your legal liabilities

I am not sure how it works but there is a possibility if you put a 25P nut on a car and then have an accident the insurance company are going to say you have modified the car. The nuts and bolts for the shock absorbers have an unusual hardening and they are done up very tightly.

You can probably find a lawyer to give you horror stories as to your legal liabilities
I think you are absolutely right. Of course there would have to be some reason for them to suspect the failure and prompt them to investigate in greater depth, but I suspect you'd be deep in the sticky stuff if they found it. Probably a good reason not to use the nice shiny nuts and bolts you find in those bargain priced assortment boxes in the likes of your local discount shop or market!

Back