Technical Front Shock Absorber bolts

Currently reading:
Technical Front Shock Absorber bolts

Punto Power 2

A Baltic good morning to you Britain! So I need to swap over my front shocks asap, had a quick look at the bolts when changing my brake pads the other day and they looked worse than bad ?. I can see some reasonably priced ones on ebay but it doesn't list them on the drop down menu as fitting the Mark 2 but does fit the mark 1, 500 Arbath,grade Punto,Panda 03-12, does anyone know if the mk2's are the same as the above models ? Muchos Gracias Pedro

Very wise to replace the bolts - I'm guessing we're talking about the two which hold the shocker to the hub upright? - When I did the shocks on our 2010 Panda, despite a really good soaking in plus gas and vigorous wire brushing one bolt on each side snapped off and they all required very considerable and violent "persuasion" to come out - They were rusted into the casting of the hub. By the way they are not just "ordinary" 8.8 strength so be sure to get the right ones. I bought all my bits including the shocks, springs and top mounts from these people: https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/ I've since bought other "stuff from them and it's all been really good quality - despite being names I'd never previously heard of, "Original Birth" and "Top Line" for instance. I think it all comes from Italian suppliers though which would explain it. By the way, if you're unsure just ring them. I've done that a number of times and they've always been pleasant and patient with me. Good people in my opinion. Oh, and by the way, sometimes what you are looking for may not be listed under your vehicle on their website. Doesn't mean they don't have it though. I've had this a few times but when you ring them they'll give you a part number to input or you can just order there and then on the 'phone. Also worth knowing that if you make even a minimal donation to the forum you can access the Forum discount code which gets you an extra 10% off (or did last time I ordered) and if you order more than £25 of stuff they ship free (that is what they've done with every order I've made so far anyway)

By the way I have no interest in them other than being a very satisfied customer so hoping they stay in business!

A Baltic good morning to you Britain! So I need to swap over my front shocks asap, had a quick look at the bolts when changing my brake pads the other day and they looked worse than bad ?. I can see some reasonably priced ones on ebay but it doesn't list them on the drop down menu as fitting the Mark 2 but does fit the mark 1, 500 Arbath,grade Punto,Panda 03-12, does anyone know if the mk2's are the same as the above models ? Muchos Gracias Pedro

Hi

Its often a case of cross referencing.. you can find some real Ebay bargains that way ;)

Box says it fits 1980's cars.. so they do a 99p start auction

Still fits a 2006 :)

SEARCH Eper on here too ;)

Just curious, why do the bolts need replacing?
Did someone use the wrong size socket to get them off and thereby completely butcher them?
I know the hub and front beam are prone to rusting in northern latitudes where the weather is more dreich, but the bolts themselves?

Changed my sisters “northern” mk2b springs 2 weeks ago and couldn’t see any reason to change the bolts.
Get into the habit of greasing things before assembly, it’ll save time later.

No, it's the bolt that connects the shock absorber to the hub. 100% sure. I've used it myself.

As far as I can see the bolt you have linked to is an M8 bolt. Which uses a 12mm or 13mm socket. I think the punto needs a 13mm socket on the ball joint pinch bolt.

The shock absorber bolt is 10mm diameter. M10. With a particular hardening and head shape

https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-ii/436392-hub-suspension-bolts-strength-class.html?p=4152698

One of us is totally wrong. :D

Last edited:
Just curious, why do the bolts need replacing?
Did someone use the wrong size socket to get them off and thereby completely butcher them?
I know the hub and front beam are prone to rusting in northern latitudes where the weather is more dreich, but the bolts themselves?

Changed my sisters “northern” mk2b springs 2 weeks ago and couldn’t see any reason to change the bolts.
Get into the habit of greasing things before assembly, it’ll save time later.

Heavy corrosion :(

It will 'ream out' the nut as you wind it over the swollen rusty exposed part of the bolt.. so not as much metal to metal contact..

The nut is meant to be torqued to a figure..
So Grease is a bad idea ..( you will exert additional force due to decreased friction).. with potential to stress the bolt

The factory fit bolts on my punto were 'loctite' secured ;)

Last edited:
Bolt is M10, pitch 1.25mm and strenght 10.9
I think that length is 65mm---68mm

Back