General Front Pipe. Exhaust Blowing. Need Help!

Currently reading:
General Front Pipe. Exhaust Blowing. Need Help!

Diss_50

A.K.A Pierre Van Punto
Hello again Forum,

Its been a while since anything's went wrong with the punto (1 month actually! :D) Now the exhaust is blowing :bang: Have been told by a helpful guy in halfords that I need a new front pipe as the current ones knackered! He quoted £215 :eek: - but ive sourced one for £15.00 + P&P :)

After I had a look under the car the bit between the flex and the pipe has a hole in it (the flexi bit) Im looking to buy a new one. I have illustrated this in the attachment.

Im also looking to fit it. Can anyone help with this??

All I know is that I need ramps!

Thanks again Forum (y)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 878
I had same problem as you. You're right you will need ramps to get under there and yes be careful with that sensor that attatches to the pipe. Replacing is a real snap, the real bugger I found with mine was unscrewing the nuts that connect the mesh part of the pipe with the cat.

These were rusted tight.:bang: FOUR hours later in the very cold month of November (and many treatments of WD-40!) they worked loose. Before fitting I added some gasket paste for an air tight seal and viola! no probs since then. A job well done even if I do say so myself!:D Had the bolts not been an issue it probably would have taken less than an hour. Gaskets I sourced from Fiat (make sure you get one that meets for the cat too). Car has been runnin sweet ever since. If you really are desperate as I was at the time and you get no joy from ebay (there were NONE on ebay at the time for your price). Then try Breakersyard.com, got one for the HGT just over £120 brand new (I was told £268 from Fiat :eek:) and it's even delivered to your door.

Hope that helps (y)

Youve been great folks! I wonder, am I pushing it if I asked for a list of tools and parts I'll need? :p

i.e.

22mm spanner or special socket
gasket paste
gaskets

Thanks

Oh.. Dark Crusader My screws/bolts are a 'bit' rusted too :bang: I wonder if I should replace them?? (y)

21mm spanner for the lambda i think.

Gasket paste on the manifold end...DEFO no paste anywhere near the cat.

Gasket for cat end and for manifold end...partco can do them or pretty much anywhere that does exhaust should be able to get them.

Ramps you can get from most motorfactors for about £20...a lot more if you goto halfords.

Spanner for the nuts on the manifold....I *THINK* they are 13mm...but don't quote me on that.

Can of WD40...spray every bolt a day in advance(so it can soak in a bit) then again before you try to remove them.

That's all that springs to mind atm.

Back