Technical Front hub

Currently reading:
Technical Front hub

Michael1973

How easy is it to change the front hub on my 03 punto as wheel bearing has gone and don't want to pay £100 for garage to fit new one would rather put a second hand hub on for £25.

Depends how cruddy the bolts are. It's a really easy job if everything comes apart, but can be the height of frustration if everything has rusted together. First of all, ensure you have new bolts for every bolt you intend to remove, then arm yourself with penetrating lubricant, breaker bars, impact guns and, worst-comes-to-worst, an angle grinder. I wouldn't advise the use of heat in this area since you are so close to shock absorber seals, brake caliper seals, ball joint covers and brake hoses.

How easy is it to change the front hub on my 03 punto as wheel bearing has gone and don't want to pay £100 for garage to fit new one would rather put a second hand hub on for £25.

They is easy to change,
but firstly..have alook in your tool box..yes this is where to start,

Have you got enough/the right tool's for the job?

If yes crack on with it,
if No then pass the job on,

Prices of tool's can end up more expensive than letting someone else do the job,
(Honnest,) ;)

I've just realised that I've misinterpreted here (after oldhammer mentioned the 32mm socket). The process I was describing was to replace the whole upright and hub assembly. No need for 32mm sockets and brand new hub nuts if you do that, but do make sure you get a good assembly from the breaker's yard.

Also, state where you're from (roughly). There may be someone in your area willing to lend you tools.

Cheers,

Mick

The thing to remember to factor in is the cost of getting the tracking checked as you're pulling the suspension apart, this is quite important if you don't want your car to eat front tires, will cost about £35-40 on top of the cost of bearing a new hub nut and any tools you need to buy

Back