From Punto to Grande Punto ?

Currently reading:
From Punto to Grande Punto ?

Hey guys well as some of you know i have a punto mk2 1.2 16v Sporting. Have been on the fiat forum a while now. For either my 21st or save up. I was thinking of selling my Punto mk2 for a Grande T-Jet. The only reason is the car will be newer,faster, turbo. Ive done alot of work on the mk2 and its my first car. I dont know how i would take seeing my car drive off. But going have to do it someday. Do think its a wise decision. my punto is a 2001. So the grande would be 2008. I was thinking of changing the interior to alfa romeo on my mk2 and new wheels etc. But this is all extra money thats never going to return to me. You think fingers cross if i dont have a bump until im 21.Im 19 now started drivng when i was 18. Tht a insurance company would insure me?

How much would u say i would get for the Punto. Considering the work. I know its modified so people arnt keen on buying modified cars. I would hate for it to be sold to a chav.

Here is my Mk2 Punto
DSC_0106.jpg

Someone would insure you, for ridiculous prices. I'm 17 and paid £1999 for my Punto 1.2 8v Active, this was very cheap, other insurers were wanting over £6K! Engsleigh wanted £10K!!!:eek:

Dom.

Someone would insure you, for ridiculous prices. I'm 17 and paid £1999 for my Punto 1.2 8v Active, this was very cheap, other insurers were wanting over £6K! Engsleigh wanted £10K!!!:eek:

Dom.
Yeh my 16v was £2700 Cheapest i could find with 30% off with pass+. Hopefully i dont have a bump. I just want a bit more advice on the t-jet model

Yeh my 16v was £2700 Cheapest i could find with 30% off with pass+. Hopefully i dont have a bump. I just want a bit more advice on the t-jet model
Dom.
I have a T-jet, 19, 2 years driving and my insurance was just over £1000, renewal is looking like £700

I imagine admiral/elephant/bell will give you a decent quote provided you have some people you can add to the policy that have plenty of accident free driving experience.

I have a T-jet, 19, 2 years driving and my insurance was just over £1000, renewal is looking like £700

I imagine admiral/elephant/bell will give you a decent quote provided you have some people you can add to the policy that have plenty of accident free driving experience.

Yeh im named driver at the mo. My mum and dad have had no accidents since they have been driving. The t-Jet is turbo isnt it? Is there any other Punto Grande Turbo? ALso i take it the 16v is better than the 8v and the sporting 1.4 16v? is that turbo / different interior

Yeh im named driver at the mo. My mum and dad have had no accidents since they have been driving. The t-Jet is turbo isnt it? Is there any other Punto Grande Turbo? ALso i take it the 16v is better than the 8v and the sporting 1.4 16v? is that turbo / different interior
Being from Edinburgh I can't imagine your premium to be that high, pretty sure it's postcodes not too bad.

As far as I know you get

Petrol:
1.2 8v active, dynamic - 65hp
1.4 8v active, dynamic, dynamic sport, eleganza and gp - 77hp
1.4 16v active sport, dynamic sport, gp, eleganza and sporting - 95hp
1.4 16v t-Jet sporting - 120hp

Diesel:
1.3 multijet active, dynamic, gp and eleganza 75hp or 90hp
1.6 multijet sporting 120hp
1.9 multijet eleganza 120hp or sporting 130hp

The sporting's have 17" alloys and sporty interior

Last edited:
Recently purchased a 2008 T-jet and am loving it, to be honest was getting quite bored with driving but this has got me enjoying the drive to work again.
If I was you I would get a quote on a car and see what the price is before you make any decisions.
Also dont think your mods would get you any more with a dealer, possibly less even, and you may well have to sell it to a 'chav' as thats your market for a modded punto unfortunately.:eek:

If an insurance company believes "fronting" has taken place, it can refuse to pay any claim.

The young driver can then be treated as driving without insurance and face a fine with six points penalty points on their licence.

Adrian Webb from the insurers esure, says parents and their children should resist the temptation to "front".

"The truth is, any act of deception to try to get a lower insurance premium with your insurance company is tantamount to fraud
+ you dont earn any ncd

+ you dont earn any ncd

Nah i dont im afraid. I will be going into full time employment next year or year after so that point im taking out my own insurance. Im paying £700 at the mo a year on insurance. My dad owns the car. I dont own it. ANyway its getting away from my main question. Is it worth buying the grande next few years. Or just save up loads and wait and buy somthing different. I like the Fiat 500 but i dont want it to be classed as a girls car lol

Last edited:
a standard gp will be cheaper to insure than a modified mk2. risk level will go down so price will go down, your dad had declared all his mods to the insurance?

Yeh he has m8. I dont think ive got much to worry about as when i did get pulled they checked my insurance etc and it was all fine. I just got a 21 day notice to replace the rear bulb. Im just bit surprised the grande T-Jet dosent have much BHP considering its turbo. Is it the only Turbo grande? So in order to get a turbo on a grande punto has to be the t-jet

Yeh he has m8. I dont think ive got much to worry about as when i did get pulled they checked my insurance etc and it was all fine. I just got a 21 day notice to replace the rear bulb. Im just bit surprised the grande T-Jet dosent have much BHP considering its turbo. Is it the only Turbo grande? So in order to get a turbo on a grande punto has to be the t-jet

I take it you haven't done any research.

The T-jet will feel alot fast than your 1.2 16v atm, most of them that have been put on rolling roads and produce 135-140 standard plus the torque is 152lbs which pulls quite alot.

The T-jet is the only petrol turbo grande (except for the abarth)
List:

1.4 16v Sporting (Non-Turbo) 95bhp
1.4 16v T-jet Sporting (Turbo) 120+bhp
1.4 16v T-jet Abarth (Turbo) 155bhp

T-jets be tuned to 200bhp with the right mods easy, as 2 people have already done it.

I think a few of you should give the guy a break. If insurance companies didn't take the pi*s with prices for young drivers then everyone would have their own policy. At least he's insured the car and isn't one of these true criminals that have no insurance at all.

Anyway, on topic, personally i'd not bother with a Grande Punto unless you can find a mint one owner car. Even then, they seem more troublesome than Mk2 Puntos, bits wearing out early etc.

It's true a standard Grande Punto will probably cost less to insure than a modded Mk2, but i'd personally focus spending money on my own policy first, before thinking of going for a newer car, as tempting as it is! Would be gutting if something happened to the new car & the insurance got funny about paying out.

I think a few of you should give the guy a break. If insurance companies didn't take the pi*s with prices for young drivers then everyone would have their own policy. At least he's insured the car and isn't one of these true criminals that have no insurance at all.

Anyway, on topic, personally i'd not bother with a Grande Punto unless you can find a mint one owner car. Even then, they seem more troublesome than Mk2 Puntos, bits wearing out early etc.

It's true a standard Grande Punto will probably cost less to insure than a modded Mk2, but i'd personally focus spending money on my own policy first, before thinking of going for a newer car, as tempting as it is! Would be gutting if something happened to the new car & the insurance got funny about paying out.

Cheers man. Its not a 100% that im going to get rid of the mk2. I do have smaller plans for it..well kinda smaller. Alfa Romeo 147 Interior. But again this is extra money. I have the money but do i want to start putting it into the mk2 when im considering the t-jet. I fancy somthing with a turbo. So is either T-Jet or GT engine or what be really cool a 500 Abarth Engine in my Mk2 later on. Get a engien stand and learn how to build a engine in my spare time. So continue as a hobbie car.

Back