Freeview

Currently reading:
Freeview

Digital aerial pointing towards the correct mast and the correct orientation? Some are vertical waves and some horizontal waves and you need to rotate the aerial accordingly.
i havent tried moving it since i moved in, lets just say its very well secured in position.

i point to welsh aeriel and i get bugger all, i point other way and i get everything

my aeriel in the attic, cause i was too scared to fit it on the roof :eek:

i do freeview for a living.

sounds like your signal is on borderline for freeview as in some days youll get some cannels and others youll get diff channels

check your co-ax male plug at the end of the cable make sure its not loose or damaged if thats fine then...

cheapest way to try sort this is a booster from argos they about £15 try that.

if still nothing then im affraid its a new ariel

if you could get hold of a signal meter signal should be in the 60-90db range it will work from 40db onwards but the music channels and ch5 may get choppy sticking a booster on will increase it 10-25db but quality of signal wont be as good as itll just amp the noise also

i do freeview for a living.

sounds like your signal is on borderline for freeview as in some days youll get some cannels and others youll get diff channels

check your co-ax male plug at the end of the cable make sure its not loose or damaged if thats fine then...

cheapest way to try sort this is a booster from argos they about £15 try that.

if still nothing then im affraid its a new ariel

if you could get hold of a signal meter signal should be in the 60-90db range it will work from 40db onwards but the music channels and ch5 may get choppy sticking a booster on will increase it 10-25db but quality of signal wont be as good as itll just amp the noise also

surely that wont affect it.

mine can pic up a signal if i unplug it and have it like a foot away from the socket:confused:

or if i have it in 1 hand and touch the hole with the other (not sig worthy):p

surely that wont affect it.

mine can pic up a signal if i unplug it and have it like a foot away from the socket:confused:

or if i have it in 1 hand and touch the hole with the other (not sig worthy):p

There is far more involved in RF propogation than you can possibly imagine j1pps... trust me. Leave it to the guy who does it for a living eh? I agree with his post but I also question the value of any amplifier for this application, there is NO substitute for a well fitted aerial of the correct type, orientated correctly with preferably a single piece of good quality co-ax with no kinks in its path.

There is far more involved in RF propogation than you can possibly imagine j1pps... trust me. Leave it to the guy who does it for a living eh? I agree with his post but I also question the value of any amplifier for this application, there is NO substitute for a well fitted aerial of the correct type, orientated correctly with preferably a single piece of good quality co-ax with no kinks in its path.

yeah amplifier will improve the signal once its been picked up. not help it to be picked up.

i cant get any channels without my amp, with it i get nearly half of them perfectly.

You think they are perfect, check them with a Spectrum analyser...

Your amplifier is simply putting some signals into the acceptable range of the TV, it wont do it for all of them. There is no getting away from the fact that while some may be lucky and get all channels on a wet toothpick, the reality is a good aerial is as essential to reliable full channel coverage TV.

End of.

Last edited:
Pays to use best coax you can afford. CAT100 or better (foil shielded screen). Use F connectors rather than aerial plugs if you need to make a join. Use quality connectors - alloy ones seem to be much better than plastic ones and take your time making them up!

Re-tuning didn’t work..

Turns out that Big Bird has been on next door’s aerial and it’s nearly touching ours :(

Guess they have been nicking our signal.

Getting a new antenna or booster or wouldn’t resolve Emma needing C4, C4+1 and E4 for the start of BB.

There was no way I’m claiming on the roof, so I started searching for another wire coat hanger last Thursday night. No joy, so I tried a redundant section of a fire guard.

Resolved :D what a picture!! As I thought before, Digital aerials are a complete blag :chin::spin::spin:.

No need for any expenditure and one happy Emma :)

Thanks for the replies guys!!

Back