Free Firewall

Currently reading:
Free Firewall

Chris I wasnt aware there is a builtin firewall and I wouldnt know where to look to actuate it. I have a Netgear DG834G router if thats any help for anyone to give me a clue.

Yes "Windows Firewall" was included with Windows XP SP2 and onwards.

By default your router will protect against all unrequested inbound traffic (except for Port forwarding rules you may have set up). Unless you have UPNP enabled I recommend disabling UPNP on your router. Basically what this does is allows your Windows PC to request certain ports be let open, this is all well an good unless you get a Trojan program on your computer which can then open all the ports it wants.

By default your router will also allow ALL outbound traffic. This is probably a good thing as if you disabled that you would have to manually Allow all other traffic you want to go out (HTTP, HTTPS, DNS,POP, IMAP etc). And any other traffic you haven't explicitly allowed will get blocked.

If your not really confident doing the above I'd just recommend disabling UPNP on your router and then using either Windows Firewall (check the settings), or ZoneAlarm etc. This should be perfectly adequate for an average home user.

Last edited:
Back