General fogs

Currently reading:
General fogs

hi all
I just got some bumpers today for my mk1 and painted them this morning to match the car and was wondering how easy will it be to got the fogs working as its a 1.1s DSC00385.JPG i will post another pic tomorrow when i put the bumpers on

If you have them fitted you are required by law to have them working.

It shouldn't be too hard, you might have the wiring for them already, if not you'll have to make a custom wiring for them...they need to have a switch so they can be turned off...and are only supposed to activiate when you have headlights on rather than just sidelights I believe.

no it is not a legal requirement to have working front fog lights if there fitted

but if your cough buy the police with them on when you only have your side lights on you may be stopped

then again you'll only have them on when it's foggy right so you'll have dipped beam on anyway

you will need to sort out your own wiring maybe using the centre control panel from an sx as the amount of car harnesses that would require changing is monumental
a relay connected into the side lights live feed aswell as the switch should disable them when your lights are off also you can take power from the interior fuse box live feed and run it through a standalone fuse to run them you'll need something like a 7.5 or 10 amp fuse depends on wattage of bulbs your using

I used mine plenty when i had it! And they did make a difference, especially in fog and snowy conditions.

I have never had any use out of any front fogs ever and i have driven in some pretty hairy conditions. I always found they made matters worse by creating a lit up haze around the front of the car. I went for Xenons on my last car which were fantastic and made the fogs just useless.

Just realised you live up by Ayr ;) You must get some stinking weather up there!

I have never had any use out of any front fogs ever and i have driven in some pretty hairy conditions. I always found they made matters worse by creating a lit up haze around the front of the car. I went for Xenons on my last car which were fantastic and made the fogs just useless.

Just realised you live up by Ayr ;) You must get some stinking weather up there!

They always made it better for me, sometimes i'd switch off main beam (not full as that was off anyway) for bad conditions so just sides and fogs, makes it really clear as only the road and not the snow/fog is lit up.

And yea.. can get real stinking weather, worst driving to Glencoe/Fort William for a winter skills course, was bloody fantastic apart from the drive! Thankfully we piled into centres landrovers when we arrived.

I use mine to spot suicidal wildlife out in the sticks....i find they improve your periphiral vision to to the left and right of the nose so i can be found on clear nights with them on tho i switch them off like the main beam if owt is coming the other way...also you wanna confuse ppl as to what your car is get some GT/Sporting/Elx headlamps with the seperate main beam, probably fairly cheap from a scrappy look a bit cooler and are actually an improvement on the item fitted to lower models, tho dunno if you'd have to alter your loom for them

BTW I can confirm that the foggies are legal.

I fitted a bumper off a higher model when mine was damaged and never wired the foggies in and it went through the MOT fine.

As for wiring them, halfords do a wiring kit thats either a tenner or a fiver that will do it in about an hour if that. Its what I'm gonna do when uni pay me :D

Do a search in this section and there will be few threads about it.

Back