Technical Fluffy webbing

Currently reading:
Technical Fluffy webbing

The daffodils are showing their buds and my thoughts turn to getting the B ready for the year. She's probably cross at having to share the garage with an X reg Peugeot 306 that we've 'adopted'.

I'm looking some advice.

The webbing on my seat belts is quite fluffy and it'd be nice to get something fresher in there. Does anyone have a recommendation for a re-webbing company that they've used?

The daffodils are showing their buds and my thoughts turn to getting the B ready for the year. She's probably cross at having to share the garage with an X reg Peugeot 306 that we've 'adopted'.

I'm looking some advice.

The webbing on my seat belts is quite fluffy and it'd be nice to get something fresher in there. Does anyone have a recommendation for a re-webbing company that they've used?
Not just a case of running a cigarette lighter carefully along it, like a dodgy car salesman ;)?
I have never heard of re-webbing seatbelts, I have seen several that have been repaired with industrial sewing machines, but quite rightly failed them as an Mot Tester at the time.
Personally the thought of going through a windscreen on a repaired seatbelt would concern me!:(

Personally the thought of going through a windscreen on a repaired seatbelt would concern me!:(
Me too! Partly why I wouldn't mind geting mine replaced.
I've found a few companies such as
and
but it'd be nice to know if anyone has used a firm that they'd recommend

Me too! Partly why I wouldn't mind geting mine replaced.
I've found a few companies such as
and
but it'd be nice to know if anyone has used a firm that they'd recommend
New to me :), I suppose as long as the meet VOSA / Mot Test requirements, possibly with a certificate, then should be fine.
It was many years ago when I Moted vehicles as foreman of a Dealership and back then DOT was very antsy about any alterations to seatbelts.

"B" seatbelts are a pain and of poor design.

The fluffing and poor retraction is due to the ludicrouse way the belt travels over the shoulder of the seat underneath that Velco strab. Not only does the soft strap material drag on the belt but also the Velcro hooks abraise the edge of the belt.

I now use clear silcon fine lubricant on the belt.

Method.

o Allow seatbelt to rest in retracted position.
o Put a piece of masking tape on belt by the seat shoulder strap
o Spray some clear silicon onto a rag - damp not soaking wet
o Fully pull seatbelt out to max entension
o Gently rub belt (all 2 sides, 2 edges) with rag and allow belt to retract
o STOP when you get to the tape marker

I have found that doing this at least once a year, especially before MOT, puts life back into what would otherwise be lethargic belt and helps reduce fluffing.

I'm not sure why MOT testers get so fussy about belt fluffing. Cut, nicks, etc. YES but light/modest fluffing does not (IMHO) weaken the belt in any way. You only have to look a safety ropes, strops/straps, climbing gear/webbing etc. to see that they all have fluffing, surface abraision, etc.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why MOT testers get so fussy about belt fluffing. Cut, nicks, etc. YES but light/modest fluffing does not (IMHO) weaken the belt in any way. You only have to look a safety ropes, strops/straps, climbing gear/webbing etc. to see that they all have fluffing, surface abraision, etc.
Meant to add that replacing seat belts can be an expensive business and that assumes you can still get an original one. The one used on the "B" was for that car only and no other Fiat.

If all esle fails then you can install a road legal ECE saftey harness. Simple 3 pointer will cost you less that £100 (inc VAT). (you get a choice or tarty colours as well :) )

The fluffing and poor retraction is due to the ludicrouse way the belt travels over the shoulder of the seat underneath that Velco strab. Not only does the soft strap material drag on the belt but also the Velcro hooks abraise the edge of the belt.
That makes sense, I hadn't thought of why it was getting fluffy but you're right, the design is silly.
I have found that doing this at least once a year, especially before MOT, puts life back into what would otherwise be lethargic belt and helps reduce fluffing.
I'm going to give that a go. One of the firms has got back to me asking for more details which I will send them but your option is much cheaper and less hassle!
To be fair, my MOT tester hasn't raised it yet, he's as keen to keep the B on the road as I am. I just wanted to avoid potential problems.

There are loads of folk that are accredited to repair seatbelts, they will also test them and ‘stitch in’ the accreditation label…
Jennings
Orion
Safetybeltsupplies
GWR
BUT, and it’s a big but, they’re expensive as they cater to motorsports and classic car markets
Best advice is replace with new, their are firms that do compatibility, on my brothers barcetta we fit punto ones and bent the ‘lug’ to suit

Last edited:
Back