Florence_Fiat_500.jpg

500 (Classic) Florence Fiat

Introduction

Hi ya

My name is Geoff - I'm a 45 year old ginger bloke from West Yorkshire. I am brand new to the 500 scene and also brand new to the world of forums. So, I suppose you could say I'm a 500 & forum virgin, please be gentle with me. I have been a classic car enthusiast for as long as I can remember and have owned a classic mini for a number of years now. Anyway, I have always loved the 500s and have recently brought a 500R (well I think it's an R) which has recently been imported from Tuscany. As she has lived all her life in sunny Tuscany we have decided to call her Florence - oh the mini is called Milly by the way. Like I've already said, I am new to the 500 scene, so like most people my situation have got loads of questions. This is where I'm hoping you guys can help out! Here are a few pictures of little Florence.

I look forward to buzzing around the beautiful Yorkshire Dales with the kids this summer and it would be great to meet up with some of you for a good old fashioned natter and maybe even a cheeky shandy!

Idleboy08
Reactions: choppa and Camo16
Hi Luxe that for your kind welcome. Like I say I am brand new to the 500 scene so not currently 100% sure what model she is? I was told that she's an 'R' but like I say I'm not sure if thats correct. I have posted some pictures of my engine number and VIN plate (in the Newbie Central section) and I'm hoping somebody with a lot more knowledge that me can help to answers some basic questions - like what model is she? Any information would be really appreciated.

Last edited:
Right - that is very useful. I know the car underwent some bodywork in 2013, so maybe the front panel was changed then? Can you answer any of my other questions e.g. is she a 72 or 73; is there anyway to tell if the engine is original to the car and finally is she the original colour? Any other information would be useful.

Congrats on purchase, looks like a really good 500. I wouldn't worry about the front panel. A large number get changed due to rust on front and wings. They often opt for the earlier front as most people prefer the look of the older badge.

It looks like you have lowered suspension, not urgent but you may want to get the front camber, as it doesn't look like it's been adjusted for the lower suspension. Not a major issue, just that you'll get crisper steering and more even tyre wear with it adjusted.

As well as VIN, you should also have date of first registration on your Italian reg docs. You'll need proof of manufacturing year or first registration to register it here with DVLA.

Have fun with the 500 :)

cheers, Steve

This is an "as new" "R" which was for sale a few years ago from Holland. It may be the same colour and has some reasonable details of originality. For my two-penn'orth, as you seem pleasingly keen to know that the car is presented as it should be, I'll point out that the heat shield over the exhaust is missing. Not the biggest deal in the world but I think it probably helps a very little bit with cooling.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 37
This is an "as new" "R" which was for sale a few years ago from Holland. It may be the same colour and has some reasonable details of originality. For my two-penn'orth, as you seem pleasingly keen to know that the car is presented as it should be, I'll point out that the heat shield over the exhaust is missing. Not the biggest deal in the world but I think it probably helps a very little bit with cooling.

You've got sharp eyes Peter I never noticed that from the other pictures.(y)

Hi Fiat500

Excellent - thanks for the pictures of the 500R, I'm sure that is the same colour as little Florence. Apart from the front panel and badge my car looks virtually identical. Are there any pictures of the interior? Do you know if it was advertised as Dark Corel Red (165)? Thanks for spotting the heat shield was missing, I would have never spotted that - have you got a picture of what one should look like? I know my way round an 'mini' engine like the back of my hand, but still getting to grips with these air cooled engines.

Geoff

Just to throw my 'apeth' into the mix, it looks as if the car has been lowered and has non-standard wheels--they definitely look wider than the normal 3-1/12 inch wheels that were original equipment.
thumb.gif
smile.gif

Hi Steve

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my many questions. I did think that my 500 looked a little lower than some other that I have seen but I would have never thought about getting the camber checked. I am going to be taking her for her first MOT soon, so I will get my mate to check that at the same time. I have got my original Italian log book and it has got both a 72 and 73 date (top left hand corner) but at the moment I'm still not sure if Florence is a 72 or 73?? I've posted a quick picture of my log bog on another post, so if you get a chance to have a look that would be great.

Once again, thanks for getting back to me and for the advice. I'm really looking forward to buzzing around the Yorkshire Dales with my kids this summer.

Geoff

I have got my original Italian log book and it has got both a 72 and 73 date (top left hand corner) but at the moment I'm still not sure if Florence is a 72 or 73?? I've posted a quick picture of my log bog on another post, so if you get a chance to have a look that would be great.

Hi Geoff

It looks like yours is a 73. This site has proven to be reliable so far, and it shows yours as 73 500R...

http://nuova500.free.fr/pagine/fiche500r.html

cheers, Steve

Back