Technical Floppy gearstick after being frozen

Currently reading:
Technical Floppy gearstick after being frozen

Dave UK

GP Abarth One Day!!
Ive got the 1.9 Sporting GP and for the last week the gear stick has been frozen.

Today was no exception, however after waiting in the car for 30 minutes for it to defrost, I think I pushed it too hard and its now gone floppy.

Managed to get it to drive it 1st and 2nd gear, however now waiting for a recovery truck to pick it up.

Quick call to Fiat and they have never heard of this problem with the 1.9. Said if it was common there would have been a recall. Said he should have a little google online! Anyway, they quoted £250 and im booked in with them anyway on Monday to have a new brake cable clip fitted and my reverse light checked out.

Looks like its going to be an expensive day!

Last edited:
Never heard of the problem lol..

I've got the same model and had same the problem most mornings over the last week, mine never completely frozen but it was deffinitely slushy, I just sat with the clutch in changing gears slowly to free it up before driving to work.

Shouldn't have to be paying for poor design!

Thanks Andy.

He said £250 as a quote, he wasnt able to check prices on the system. Im just thinking worst case!

Will certainly be phoning them every time it freezes once they have replaced it though!

Never heard of the problem lol..

I've got the same model and had same the problem most mornings over the last week, mine never completely frozen but it was deffinitely slushy, I just sat with the clutch in changing gears slowly to free it up before driving to work.

Shouldn't have to be paying for poor design!

Yeah I was quite surprised they hadnt heard of the problem! Guessing its far to late for any chance of a recall now.

Back