Technical Flood messed up my headlight levellers

Currently reading:
Technical Flood messed up my headlight levellers

Ok, i have just found a new problem, after getting a soaking last night driving through a flood. And its elecrtrical.

Long story short, was driving carefully through a flood , when some knob come flying through the flood in a land rover, covering my car with water. great. Got to my destination and saw the passenger light was misted up, (i use the keep the lights on feature for 1 minute,) and aslo making a whirring noise, followed by a clunk, and this is continous while the headlight is turned on. The passenger headlight also now points pretty much at the floor. On inspection the back cover of the light had come loose in i think if its not shorted, the gush of water seems to have dislodged something and got into the light.

I only had time this morning to strip the battery case and put the back back on before I had to drive to work, and this didnt solve it.

Looking at the threads on here, it seems that this is pretty much fubar'ed as the adujster is jammed and whats causing it is unknown, and no-one seems to have fixed one.

Or have they?

I once replaced the same light bulb on that side, and after replacing it the bulb was in and working but the leveller jammed, so i took the bulb back out and put it back in again and all was ok. The only thing is it was a lot of guesswork as I left the light cluster in situe and stripped out the battery box, but i cut myself and i have aslo made a mess of my wrist this morning. It has been ok since, until now, but it looks like I accidently found a solution for this.

Would it be easier to adjust this if I drop the front bumper and take out the cluster and fiddle with it that way? is there enough length in the loom going to it?

You might be lucky, at a guess, I'd say your leveller has become detached from the headlight with the force of the water especially as the headlight is just now pointing downwards.

leveller 6.JPG

leveller 1.JPG

The leveller has a popper connector which is simply popped into a socket on the headlight

Some levellers just simply twist out and then you pull the popper out of the headlight.
leveller 2.JPG
I think you have to remove these 2 screws on the Stilo

leveller 4.JPG

leveller 5.JPG
If it's an internal fault in the leveller then it's usually this peg (purple arrow) that pops out of the drive clip. Inside is a plain dc motor with gears and the headlight leveller just connects via this peg onto the U type plastic clip

Last edited:
strange one this, got the rear cover back on, the condensation dried out, came to drop the bumper, tested it again, still doing it, so i hit it (a bit hard i must admit due to anger) and it adjusted itself up and down. as opposed to being jammed, then levelled and then the controls would move it up and down and no problems with it.

Strange, but working fine now

strange one this, got the rear cover back on, the condensation dried out, came to drop the bumper, tested it again, still doing it, so i hit it (a bit hard i must admit due to anger) and it adjusted itself up and down. as opposed to being jammed, then levelled and then the controls would move it up and down and no problems with it.

Strange, but working fine now
Aggressive persuasion FTW :slayer:

bit of aggression on a car sometimes works :D

on my stilo i had a dodgy, boot open light on that stayed on even though the boot was closed, i pulled up at the end of the road, and opened and closed it, still no change. turned the engine off and restarted it, still no change :eek:, so i opened the boot again and gave it one almighty slam, soon sorted it out (y)

Weird headlight

I don't know if this caused it, but i went to the car wash today and they did the usual pressure wash. It got dark so i turned my headlights on, at first i didn't notice but then i realised my passenger side headlight was pointing down on to the floor. The driver side is fine and can still be adjusted in car, but the passenger side is stuck pointing south. Any ideas what i shoud do?

Have also tried the fogs and full beam and they are all mis aligned pointing much lower than they should be. :confused:

Re: Weird headlight

The whole headlight has popped off the headlight height adjuster motor. It's quite literally a popper to secure it. Someone else had this recently- Big Black Stilo I think- see if you can do a search to find the thread- and they just thumped it back into place. I would think you'd need to align it just right but then a thump back into place should do it

Last edited:
Re: Weird headlight

The whole headlight has popped off the headlight height adjuster motor. It's quite literally a popper to secure it. Someone else had this recently- Big Black Stilo I think- see if you can do a search to find the thread- and they just thumped it back into place. I would think you'd need to align it just right but then a thump back into place should do it

Thanks for that. I've found the thread and will be giving it a good bashing tonight... The headlight i mean! (y)

I've already posted another thread but this one seems more useful. Looking at the pictures, it looks like the battery has been removed. I really don't want to / can't be bothered to remove the battery! Is it a 5 min job or will it take ages? I work from 10 till 7 so either i'll have to get up really early to sort it out or stay out really late in the dark to sort this bugger thing out! Damn u Fiat!

Try just pushing on the top portion of the headlight to see if you can pop it back onto the leveller. The photos here are just so you can see what you are trying to do. Hopefully you won't need to gain acces to the leveller. Could try someone moving the levellers from the driver's seat whilst you're persuading the headlamp unit back onto the popper.

If it works it'll be less than a 5min job:)

What a NIGHTMARE! I removed the battery, and the surrounding case just to get to the leveller. I could hear it constanly making a whirring noise. Bashed it about but nothin happened. So i removed it completely. I took some photo's of the leveller inside and they don't look like those on your picture...

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00608.jpg

DSC00609.jpg

Its now been removed and the headlight beam is back to where it should be. Only problem now is that i can no longer adjust the passenger side headlight!

One more thing... What a b*****d trying to fit the cover back onto the passenger side headlight! First time when i changed my bulbs, i didnt remove the battery and had trouble fitting the cover, it wasn't on properly. This time round, i removed the battery and it wasn't any easier! I spent the best part of half an hour trying to get the damn cover back on but to no avail. Its only partly on. Anybody else have trouble with this?

Disocnnect the headlamp electrical lead (push back the grey securing clip and pull off) and push it out of the way for more access. Remove the cover securing clip completely, then fit the cover, then reattach the clip, bottom first then top

Last edited:
Back