Technical Flashing MIL when indicating right

Currently reading:
Technical Flashing MIL when indicating right

Lewi93

I own a 2011 1.2L Fiat 500 Lounge with 20k on the clock.

Every time I indicate right the MIL starts flashing and as soon as I've stopped indicating the MIL goes off.

Could anyone tell me why this is happening? Thanks.

EDIT: also happens when using hazards. but not when indicating left

Last edited:
I had this with mine but had abs and a few other things flash instead you need to replace the instrument cluster they get damp inside and slowly short the less on the board together with scale I think.

Speaking of hatch wiring - does anyone know if the problem was addressed in the 2016 update?

They changed a fair few things and addresses other frequent failure points, completely redesigning the door handles for example so I'd not be surprised if they fixed (or attempted to fix) the hatch wiring, this however might not have just been a different material in the wiring insulation but might have involved moving the point that the wiring is transferred from the body to the hatch

Re the issue I have of Fiat 500C 2013, when indicating right the ABS and MIL lights flash at same rate but half brightness. Now I see one mention of tailgate harness breakage of wires, convertible different but cannot see obvious breakage. Second issue is said damp conditions effecting cluster and shorting somewhere, possibly across tracks or a dry joint. I just cannot see anywhere which shows anyone achieving a fix, it must be possible as it sounds a tracking issue, car was stood for a week at low temp and mostly raining. Has anyone achieved a fix ? Short of sending for repair, at £150 upwards, or dealership, no warranty on my car.

Re the issue I have of Fiat 500C 2013, when indicating right the ABS and MIL lights flash at same rate but half brightness. Now I see one mention of tailgate harness breakage of wires, convertible different but cannot see obvious breakage. Second issue is said damp conditions effecting cluster and shorting somewhere, possibly across tracks or a dry joint. I just cannot see anywhere which shows anyone achieving a fix, it must be possible as it sounds a tracking issue, car was stood for a week at low temp and mostly raining. Has anyone achieved a fix ? Short of sending for repair, at £150 upwards, or dealership, no warranty on my car.
If you do find a fix I'd like to know it !!

If you do find a fix I'd like to know it !!
I will do, but not understanding how to use forum, so just trying my best. I have just started to investigate, I know £140 buys a fix where you take cluster, (easy to remove) and take it to a cluster repair company and shove the unit back in and probably fixes it, BUT, I want to try and fix myself. Someone must have done this. The car stood for a week in the rain and fault happened, so has to be a breach of a contact possibly due to moisture ? The boot was not opened before fault flagged, but wil check harness there and tailgate lamps for earth breaches to earth but don5 expect that at all. After that will take back off the instrument cluster and look for any obvious dry joints or corroded areas etc, if not visible then I may have to revert to taking to a cluster repair. Some charge big money, but so long as I don’t bugger up the unit it could be fixed and plug in and go. Don’t want to replace the cluster with a secon£ hand one as th S will need programming to the cars brain.

Not sure how to get a response ? It seems to be inaccessible how to fix cluster issue, I see £100 min that is including taking cluster out and replacing it in car. All don3 in 1 hour !! Thus if taking cluster in and out is 15 mins, stripping cluster down and back together 15 mins, that only gives less than 30 mins for fix ? There can’t be much to it ? But I cannot see what is required, just Ned a circuit diagram if the cluster PCB ? Someone must have done this, I think next week I will hav3 to try fix myself.

I suspect a simple earthing issue.
In our garden we have some mains voltage lights with led bulbs we have a switch that has a neon across the switch to show where it is when off, the neon provides enough current to illuminate one of the 5 led lights connected to it, so I had to disconnect the neon, just shows how little power it takes to light a led?

I suspect a simple earthing issue.
In our garden we have some mains voltage lights with led bulbs we have a switch that has a neon across the switch to show where it is when off, the neon provides enough current to illuminate one of the 5 led lights connected to it, so I had to disconnect the neon, just shows how little power it takes to light a led?
Thank you John, yes agree, it must be an earth, so am going to try checking the 2 body grounds that link to the indicators, and the wires to the trunk lid fu cations just in case they are broken, but cannot immoderately see this. If this fails, out will co e 5he cluster andstrip it toinspect for the obvious, if not, then will have to revert to getting a company to review and fix the cluster.

I totally agree, but I am trying to find what 5he repair actually is, as opposed to relying on a cluster repair company. Trying to find anyone who has actually fixed theirs themselves, and I am sure it is fairly straightforward if you know 5he circuit layout of the PCB. I don’t think anyone has unfortunately.

I totally agree, but I am trying to find what 5he repair actually is, as opposed to relying on a cluster repair company. Trying to find anyone who has actually fixed theirs themselves, and I am sure it is fairly straightforward if you know 5he circuit layout of the PCB. I don’t think anyone has unfortunately.
Not seen anyone on here who has repaired it themselves so you may struggle
Not too many people who can solder PCB components

Not seen anyone on here who has repaired it themselves so you may struggle
Not too many people who can solder PCB components
Thank you Chris, that is unfortunate, but will take cluster to pieces and have a look myself. Hope it is something obvious like a dry joint, otherwise I will have to have it repaired. Had a similar where’d issue on my sons Fiesta mk7, and I fixed it by a replacement boot latch !!, not giving in just yet.

Back