Technical Fixing various noises

Currently reading:
Technical Fixing various noises

I have a 2004 1.2 16V mk2b.

The car had been sounding rather tired and old. Engine noise was noticeable on the motorway but the situation is now better.

1. For the second time I replaced a gearbox input bearing.

2. For the third time I replaced a noisy timing belt tensioner.

3. I replaced the catalytic convertor because it was sometimes making a strange noise like a dry bearing. But i could not find a fault with it once off the car and it looked ok inside mostly but not perfect - there must be a hidden part which was doing something.

4. I replaced all the other gearbox bearings but have not yet done the differential bearings.

5. I got 8 hydraulic lifters as the last job to do because the top end just did not sound right. It is now noticeably better but there is still a knocking sound at the coil end which i can hear with my screwdriver. The cam shafts were in excellent condition and the extension bearings looked unworn but there was some play at the coil end if I put the camshaft in the bearing so it was sticking out fully in the opposite direction to the installed position. I am supposing the knocking i am hearing is not the camshaft moving in the bearing but i am not sure. There is no other place for the noise to be coming from as far as i can see. Valve noise?? With the hydraulic lifters pushing down directly upon the valves you would imagine wear would be tiny. Compression is like new.

With the bonnet open the injectors are amazingly noisy and I am not yet sure if this normal. With the screwdriver they are clicking and thumping at the same time. I don't recall the thump but that could because of the other noises which have been eliminated. I know if you shut off a pressurised pipe it will make a massive thump so it could be normal to get that sound

Anyway it was interesting to reduce the noises so the car is not sounding tired and getting near the end of its life.

The road noise is very significant - potentially replacing the differential bearings might help? I am not sure if I can be bothered but it seems the car could do with more soundproofing around the wheel arches inside and out.

Good for you doing these things on an old car & sticking with it. I take it your handy with the spanners & did the jobs yourself?

Thanks. I did all of these jobs myself but I am not exactly handy Andy. Some of these jobs represent a considerable amount of suffering and pain! :eek:

And I just noticed I have another outer CV joint to reboot. So I suppose I will be doing the differential sooner than I thought which for some reason does not seem so bad - even though it will involve the suffering and pain.

Life is odd.

The differential bearings were not in bad condition - just some minor polishing and no pitting. I pulled the speedo gear side off no problem but the large gear side was impossible even with my torque wrench on the puller. Obviously the puller was going to break and got fairly bent. Going to have to grind it off. With the bearings being so tight I am doubting i will be able to press them back on myself.

I got the differential finished. It was one of those jobs that seemed to go on and on. Tapered bearings went on relatively very easily with -18C differential and 150C bearings. I made up a tool with a 17mm socket, some washers and a nut and bolt to ensure I could hit the bearing very hard to drive it home. Even with the temperature difference the bearings needed a very strong impact to remove the light gap between the differential and the bearing. It was a big relief to have the bearings on and undamaged with no problems.

I had no torque setting for the crown gear bolts which I had removed to get access for my bearing splitter. They were very tight to undo and no loctite. I did them up at 80nm with loctite.

Getting the differential back in the car with one person requires some care because the crown gear is like an axe. It has very sharp teeth. If that thing fell on your face it would rip you to shreds. I used a piece of wood and the socket extensions as drive shafts to hold it in place.

The replacement bearings I used were exactly the same bearing as came out of the car so I assumed the preload would not be very different.

Out on the road I am believing the car does sound quieter with the road noise reduced and now the wind noise is more significant. Perhaps I am only dreaming but it does seem better.

Attachments

• P7300883.JPG
    P7300883.JPG
    433.4 KB · Views: 35
  • P7290881.JPG
    P7290881.JPG
    412.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I got an ebay punto injector rail with the same bosch injectors and wiring for only £40 pounds delivered - one new injector was going to cost me about £80 :eek:.

The replacement injectors are much quieter. The injector sound is a tiny tick compared to the other engine noises.

The point will be coming soon for many of our puntos when they get scrapped rather than replace an injector.

Back