Technical FIXED: Scudo turns over, but won't start

Currently reading:
Technical FIXED: Scudo turns over, but won't start

ridelikeaturtle

Apologies if this has been done a million times already. I'll try to be brief. But I wanted to put up a post because I'm quite pleased at how well this has worked for me.

- 2001 Fiat Scudo van
- 1.9l
- non-turbo

Symptom: engine turns over, but it won't start.

Source of problem: no fuel due to a "stop solenoid" not opening to allow fuel past. The specific problem can be either the solenoid itself, or (in my case) since this was addressed before, the relay used to energize/power the solenoid.

Fix: use an angle grinder, or a dremel, to cut into a housing that contains the "stop solenoid"; and do some custom wiring with a single-pole, single-throw (SPST) 4-pin 30A relay between the ignition and the stop solenoid, so everything works with the ignition key as normal.

Put inline fuses on the wiring to the ignition (15A) and battery (30A).

The 4 pins on the relay are:
- 85, to earth (ground)
- 86, to ignition
- 87, to solenoid
- 30, to battery

A good mechanic, or even someone with slightly-above-average "bush-fix" skills, can do this. I had a mechanic do the initial installation, as he'd done it before; and I've now just replaced the relay after the old one died. But this fix has worked for several years for me, this old van just keeps going and going.

2017-11-25 13.42.26-withtext.jpg 2017-11-25 13.42.33-withtext.jpg
20171125_152932-withtext.jpg

Very good info helped recently, its a fiddly job but well worth it when she starts :)

thAnks for the info and directions long live the 1.9D's

Back