Technical fitting rear bumper

Currently reading:
Technical fitting rear bumper

drpepperr

hey, not sure if this should be in the bodyshop or in here so went for here...

finally got round to getting a colour coded rear bumper, now comes the task of fitting it. the chap i bought it from said it was a simple job and was it should take about 15 minutes.

i for one don't think it will be that easy, can anyone possibly give me a guide how to best go about it, or at least give some pointers.

Also mention any potential pitfalls, one i can think of is what is the bolts are too rusted to be reused, etc.

Regards

Should take about 15 mins, the chap is right. Is this a MK1?

If so open the boot, I believe it's either a 10mm or 8mm socket you need, should be bolts along top of the bumper here, undo those, and you have one either side of the arch careful as these can be rusted, good to use a bit of WD40 to remove them, I had to replace mine. Lay and look underneath the bumper and you have a few there.

Not any major pit falls, ones to be careful with are the ones under arches, just take your time and the nightbefore cover them in penetrating fluid, makes it easier to undo them.

sorry i should have stated, it's a mk2.

and yeah that's pretty much what the guy said... going to give them a WD40ing tonight with the view of taking them off later this week.

regards

Right had a look, the 4 central bolts at the top look like they'll easily be able to be removed, the issues appear to be the 4 under the car, which have rusted beyond all comprehension, and the 2 on each side at the top, which look complicated.

Does anyone have any advice about what to do with the ones under the car??

Regards

Soak them and remove. If they shear off they shear off and you need to drill them out and replace with an M8 bolt, washer and nyloc nut.

The hidden ones in the arches are screws and won't be a pain to get out unless the points they screw into start spinning. If they do you can slit the bumper at that point (it's a slot) and pull it over them. That's worst case.

Thanks, that's pretty much confirmed what i was thinking. I look forward to uploading a pic on thursday after it will hopefully be fitted.

Regards

Right, that was a long 15 minute job... took me about 2 hours, all 4 of the bolts under the car were rotten which didn't really help, but i got there in the end.

What does everyone think?....

Regards

Attachments

• carrr.jpg
    carrr.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 28
yea i am mate, was worried for a minute that it wasn't the same black, but the difference is minute if any, and isn't noticable.

yea i am mate, was worried for a minute that it wasn't the same black, but the difference is minute if any, and isn't noticable.

Yeah, I thought mk2b's were metallic and mk2's aren't?

Or did the mk2b's come in both solid and metallic?

Back