Styling Fitting new wheels

Currently reading:
Styling Fitting new wheels

Noltex

I just came into a set of aluminum four spoke wheels that I believe are off a Honda and are 13 X 5.5 with a bolt pattern of 4-100. Is there a way to make these fit on my 76 X1/9? I'd REALLY like to be able to mount these. Also, is it possible to convert from the current wheel bolts to more standard studs with lug nuts?

Converting from bolts to studs is the easy bit and is fairly well practised. I certainly recommend doing it as the job of refitting the wheels is so much easier but it is equally that little bit harder to remove a wheel sometimes...

Getting the PCD down from 100 to 98 is a bit tougher. You can use eccentric "joggle" bolts/nuts which are basically sleeved with an off centre fixed stock. The alternatives are to get your hubs redrilled to a 100 pcd but that means every set of brake discs would need the same treatment (gets a bit expensive) or you can get the wheels redrilled and use sleeved nuts/bolts to get the right fit.

Converting from bolts to studs is the easy bit and is fairly well practised. I certainly recommend doing it as the job of refitting the wheels is so much easier but it is equally that little bit harder to remove a wheel sometimes...

So.... how's it usually done?

If you do a bit of shopping around you should find you can buy studs ready to screw in. They are generic rather than specific to the X1/9 so you just need to find the right size thread.

I have a conversion on my race car but I can't remember where the parts were obtained from.

If you want to use standard wheels with your car but prefer the studs then you could get the parts from Fiat. The Seicento Sporting models have a conversion as standard from the factory. They are even a little over long to accomodate the standard wheel spacers used (another part that can be borrowed).

Thanks for the help. I'm going to check on getting the new wheels drilled to fit.

I've done a little research on the wobbly bolts and it looks like they work well to convert a 4x100 weel to the 4x98 hub. Since it is a 13x5.5 wheel, will I need any different spacers?

The spacers needed will depend on the offset of the wheel rather than the PCD. If the backspace (depth) of the wheel (measured from the face of the hub to the edge of the rim) is deeper than your original wheels then you may well need a thicker spacer than the original fiat items.

My old rims have a backspace of 90mm with a 5mm spacer, and the new ones are 110mm. Can I assume that I'll need a 25 mm spacer or can it be something less? As you can likely tell, I'm not a tire and wheel guy!

Your calculation is correct but you could likely get away with a 20mm spacer. The trick is to measure the clearance between the spring and the wheel, that is how much the wheel rim can come inwards but of course you need to save yourself a little space, just in case.

Sorry to wake up a 3 year old thread, but I would really appreciate a link for these "Joggle" type bolts. I cannot find them anywhere. Are they perhaps called something else as well? Thanks a ton!

If you do a search on eBay for bolt and pcd you should be able to find several sets for sale.

hi i just found these wheels on a website and was wondering if they would fit a X1/9.. they came of a Fiat [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cinquecento...195/45/R14.

thanks

brian
[/FONT]

PCD and spigot is correct but the offset is most likely wrong so you would need to consider fitting spacers if necessary.

Getting the PCD down from 100 to 98 is a bit tougher. You can use eccentric "joggle" bolts/nuts which are basically sleeved with an off centre fixed stock. The alternatives are to get your hubs redrilled to a 100 pcd but that means every set of brake discs would need the same treatment (gets a bit expensive) or you can get the wheels redrilled and use sleeved nuts/bolts to get the right fit.

OR you can get a 14 mm drill bit and turn the mag around
and drill the hole bigger with the 14 mm drill bit !!!!

i have 25mm spacers.
it makes a conversion from 4x98 to 4x100
The wheels and tires are
Front: 195x45x16 offset 35 - 7.5j
rear : 225x40x16 offset 15 - 9j
Tires Pirelli P zero nero
kt11.jpg

spacermw6.jpg

fiatx19keskin001ch7.jpg

x19wb1.png

yes, the wheels are BIG...
But needed for the engine swap later (hopefully this year).

You also need to cut some from the frontfender.
cuttingfu9.png

Back