Fitting New Speakers - Crossover?

Currently reading:
Fitting New Speakers - Crossover?

rjcasey

Hi sorry another question

Im currently fitting my new speakers into the stilo (recomended by OzMoSiS(y))

I have modified the pod and fitted the standard stilo speaker cable, but I just been thinking I havent used the cables provided so I havent fitted the crossover. Am I ment to cut the origional wires behind the Stilo HU and add the crossover there to save adding new wires.

I think its called a crossover anyway :confused:

Thanks,

Reece

Hmmm what made you buy them i was talking about them somewhere else the other day i would be very interested to know how they sound.
I have never fitted those type of x-overs myself so im sure somenody will be able to tell you weather the tweeters need to connect to their own output or if they connect to the actual speakers.
In answer to your question you dont need to connect any wires at the HU until you get an amp it is easier to connect the wires from the amp into the cars standard so you dont have to break through the doors.
So you will be fine using the wires as you have and the x-overs are to stop certain frequencies going to the tweeters not the woofers.

thanks volxstu,

Well I wanted something cheap for now and thought for the money these seemed good. Now there in the sale could have got them even cheaper.

Havent put the door panel back on yet so cant tell you what they sound like yet but will let you know.:)

Also I took the standard tweeter out this morning to remove the door panel. When I went to start the car tonight the Power Assisted steering wasnt working. Pluged the tweeter in and it worked. Someone could end up paying to try and get their power assisted steering fixed and it could just be the tweeters got a lose connection. Just wondered if anyone had come across this before.

Never heard of that but before i dont even remember what i did with the standard tweeter wiring in my car but it aint connected to anything :confused:

your power steering issue is BIZZARE!, i currently have only the drivers door speaker and tweeter installed with no problems. those two things arent even connected. i suspect you have a short in your electrical system somwhere.

on the crossovers you have one side with 2 sets of wires, and one side with just one. obviously (not taking the micky) the wires from the car will go to the end with the one set. the other two sets should be labelled tweeter and woofer. obviously a set goes to each one then.

install them fully, i.e. both the tweeter and the woofer AND the crossover.

NOTHING has to be done on the HU side of things.

they should be an improvement once done proplerly.

also PLEASE NOTE the polarity of the wires when connecting everything. getting that wrong will be the biggest reason why they will sound a lot worse than you hoped.

good luck

Last edited:
Hiya Oz on further inspection those X-overs could work like normal active boxes.
The X-overs that i have seen before have just been two wires going into the X-over and then two out and then there have been 2 inputs and 2 outs on the woofer, but i never managed to get them to work so i just run them passive. LOL

Oh I See, Thanks

Didnt realise I had two crossovers thought I had one and when it had two output cables it was left and right side of the car :rolleyes:.

So now I get it (one for tweeter one for woofer) and then the other side is the input. Although they are not labeled.

Thing is im using the stilo cables as I have modified the pod so the stilo cable clips in the top.

Can I cut the cable somewhere and add this crossover in.

Also back to the Power Steering, It also said lose connection when the tweeter was unpluged surely it hasnt got senors for this. Does this indicate as you say a short or has all ICE got sensors.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
no sensors. your electrics are having a bit of a laugh.

try the D4 cleaning as found in the guides section.

i dont follow what youve done with the pod. how does it connect to the new speaker then?

the cables also MUST be labelled. take a little peek inside the shrink wrapping. it may even be printed along the cables. or they may have slight colour differences which it should note in the instructions

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
do NOT use plastic adaptors.

they will buzz and rattle and eventually turn you into a mad axe man.

get some baffles made up from MDF. very easy

I didnt get any instructions, I think I might call them tommorow.

Thought I may have a problem with the electrics the car always seems to give me messages that arent true.
Bit of topic but
Like: Sensor fault, Then says Low fuel then the gauge shoots up and error clears.
Will try the cleaner (y).

Well for the POD I cut the 5 plastic supports off the old speaker to fit the new speaker in. I then soldered them to the PODs connectors then just pluged the stilo block connector into the POD.

so like your picture could I have it so that the red lines are stilo wires too. So I dont replace any wires.

Thanks again!

so like your picture could I have it so that the red lines are stilo wires too. So I dont replace any wires.

Thanks again!

dude!

desolder what youve done, and add that crossover with its wires inbetween.

job done.

put a layer of foam between the speaker and pod, pod and door. that should maintain your sanity a bit

Right so you think I should use the cables that came with the speakers instead of the stilo ones and splicing the x-over in.

Is there any benfit to this? Im not being lazy just wondering

Thanks (y)

do NOT use plastic adaptors.

they will buzz and rattle and eventually turn you into a mad axe man.

get some baffles made up from MDF. very easy

LOL did i put the wrong part number down i meant the yellow connection adaptors that fit onto the cars standard wiring.
And i get what you have done now you havnt made the whole housing out of MDF have you have made a Ring baffle that is what was confusing me the other day.

Oh and OP dont worry about going off topic tis fine, welcome to the wonderful world of Italian wiring, shoddy to say the least.
Sounds to me like you could have a loose connection or some arching to the computer but i am no way the right person to talk to about that sort of thing.

Attachments

• PC2-800.jpg
    PC2-800.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 8
nope, the whole kaboodle is MDF. its also angled upwards slightly.

also dont use connectors. if you can, use solder and heatshrink. it really isnt hard.

spend the time, do it once, and do it properly. that way you wont have to do it again :)

nope, the whole kaboodle is MDF. its also angled upwards slightly.

also dont use connectors. if you can, use solder and heatshrink. it really isnt hard.

spend the time, do it once, and do it properly. that way you wont have to do it again :)

Where the pics then LOL i want to steel your wisdom.

I suggest them as people dont always want to cut the cars standard wiring although you can get the male plugs also if you need to put back to standard.

Back