Styling Fitting bucket seats? And stripping rears out...

Currently reading:
Styling Fitting bucket seats? And stripping rears out...

neilio

hi has anyone had any experience on fitting bucket seats? iv seen some nice momo seats which im plannin to buy and momo have subframes which will fit the cinq (and sei i think). just wondering if anyone else has fitted seats and has any tips? and also, do subframes come with a way to fit the seatbelt clip from the original seats? im plannin on stripping the rear seats out too, any tips? cheers

I wouldn't recommend fitting the seatbelt bracket to one of the 8mm frame mounting bolts. They are fitted with 12mm bolts as standard. I fabricated an additional bracket that I bolted to the subframe using two 8mm bolts and then attached the seatbelt to that using its original bolt.

Cheers

D

Taking the back seats out is just a case of unbolting everything, and out they come. If you can't find blanking plugs for the holes, just cut the original bolts down so that they fill the holes but don't protrude into the wheelarch.

Cheers

D

a bit of experience on my part

a few weeks a go i lowered my car and after a week thought i would strip out the rear to see if it went any better.

it didnt seem to make any difference except make the car uneasy at the back when i was flooring it through my country lane so i put everything back in and im sure it didnt make any difference on the power part.

in my oppinion its only worth doing if your going to fit a cage, front and rear strutbraces and uprated anti roll bars, otherwise you screw up your handling for nowt.

wayne aka

I welded a bracket onto the subframe that came with the seats. Then its at least as strong as the metal in the frame. Harnesses are secured by 12mm bolts- gives more bearing capacity.

thanks for all the tips, what younger modder said is probably true, upsetting the front-back weight ratio of the car and changing the center of gravity. il probably keep the rears now, but just ban people from sitting in them! :p

Not sure how true this is prob a load of Bull but someone told me a car with buckets and that has back seats still there is an MOT failure?????

True/False

Not a clue tbh just what i heard.

There's some hair-splitting to be done by MOT testers I believe on this one. If I've got it right it's a bit like this:

If you have rear seats they have to have working seatbelts.

If you have no rear seats then you don't need rear belts.

A MOT tester, if in a terrible mood and possibly didn't get laid the night before could fail the car if either he couldn't get into the back to check the belts - or he thought the routing of harnesses to the front seats posed a danger to any rear seat passengers.

This might be complete ******** though, you know what I'm like :D

Well Pete, ive also been told that could be true, but wen i bought my car it had some crappy bucket seats in it that wasn't reclining. The rear seat belts were removed from the car but not the rear seats. The front harnesses went into the back seats at 45 degress and used the rear seat belt brackets.

The car had passed its mot a month before i bought it, and the seats were old enuf to be in there for at least a year. I since put new seats in and just hope it will pass or at least the mot bloke is friendly.

Back