Fitting an amp power cable though Cinquecento bulkhead? An easy way?

Currently reading:
Fitting an amp power cable though Cinquecento bulkhead? An easy way?

alvintheredcar

Hi everyone,

My first post on these forums - been a lurker for a while :D

I have searched around for the answer to this as best I can but it seems like there is no set straight forward solution to this.

Basically i'm wondering if there is a fairly simple way in which I can run a power cable from my battery into my boot - I have a Cinquecento.

The last time I attempted this with my dad, we snapped two drill bits trying to drill a hole through the bulkhead. We succeeded in the end, but now I need to run another power cable through and I was wondering if there is a simpler way? (It took us hours that day! Feeding the cable though was a nighmare, it didn't seem to want to emerge!).

This time it will be a 4AWG cable. I have seen the suggestion of running a cable through the hole where the speedo cable comes through, I was wondering if this hole would be big enough for that size cable?

If I do try and run it through the speedo cable hole, would I have to unplug the the battery first before I removed the dashboard? Also if I did have to do that, would I unplug the -ve first?

When attatching the power cable would it be ok just to bolt it right on? Sorry for these silly questions - not all that clued up on these kind of things!

If anyone has done this before and could give me any tips or tell me how they did it then that would be most appreciated!

Thank you in advance :)

hi, i got a mrk 2 punto, i fitted the power cable from the battery to the boot by feeding it through the passenger footwell.

I managed to find a gromit/hole up in the passenger footwell from inside the car. I had to pull the carpet back to find it.

I attached a pencil to the cable with tape and with soem help from a m8 feeded it from under the bonnet directly down to the hole,

Hopefully this may be of some use to you? Worth lookin for the hole!!

Ben :D

Thanks guys,

Custard, do you know if I will have to pull the speedo cable out the back of the speedo?

Just wondering if I can just pull that bit of dashboard off and just pop the cable through the hole? (If i'm only doing this, will I need to unplug the negative from the battery, as im not really messing with the electrics? - Or will this blow the inline fuse on the cable if I just stick it straight to the positive and the negative is still attatched to the battery?)

Thanks for the responses :)

Thanks guys,

Custard, do you know if I will have to pull the speedo cable out the back of the speedo?

You'll have to remove the instrument cluster so yeah, the cable must be disconnected from the back of the speedo head.

will I need to unplug the negative from the battery, as im not really messing with the electrics?

Yes you will need to disconnect the negative - you could create sparks in the boot, which could start a fire.

Back