General Fitting aftermarket seats to a Panda!

Currently reading:
General Fitting aftermarket seats to a Panda!

Panda Pete

of the 4x4 variety
I started off with a Recaro seat that already had a subframe on it - this made things miles easier!

What you need is an old Panda seat. We chose to use the correct side as we wanted to keep the part that the seatbelt end clicks into.

To get the old seats out you have to tap in the wedge on the back end of the rails. this means you will be able to adjust the seat all the way out the end. The inner runner will probably catch on the carpet so it will need some persuasion to get it out!

Firstly you need to remove the runners that go into the frame on the side of the car and remove the front pivotting bar (cleverly being pointed at in my photos!). You can just grind these off and wiggle the pins out with a pair of pliers. Then you can deburr them although they will be hot! ;)

DSC00231.jpg

This will leave you with this.

DSC00233.jpg

Then grind off the extra tags when the rubber tags sits as these are no longer needed.

DSC00236.jpg

Then you need to shorten the front pivot. If you have it at full length the front of the seat will sit for to high at the front and you will be staring at the sun visors rather than through the windscreen. The top pivot it a unmolested bracket the bottom one is our modified shortened one.

DSC00237.jpg

Now you are ready to mount the runners into the car! As you have removed the spring loaded pin you will need to replace it with an M8 bolt. This means you cannot adjust the seat using the Panda adjustment and will have to use the adjustment on the seat. The back bolt is longer to allow the angle of the seat to be adjusted, more on this later.

DSC00238.jpg

Rumaging around in the garage found the old cross pieces from a roof rack. I think they measured 20 x 30 mm but I can't remember at moment! This was bolted on using the long bolt at the back and using the shortened front pivot to give the correct angle for the seat. The holes were spotted through from the seat runners. The paralellism was dealt with by using washers as spacers. (y)

DSC00242.jpg

I also used a mini spirit level to get the parallels roughly flat. Once you have done this you can mount your seat!

Ta Da! :D

DSC00243.jpg

Please excuse slightly dodgy phone pictures!! :rolleyes: Im hoping to go and get a AI ticket on Friday and then be there on Saturday so you can all inspect it and decide if you want to have a go! If anything in the above is unclear then pipe up on here and I will try and make it a little clearer!

(y) Cheers guys!

Purple - It has a tilt catch which is blocked from view by the pillar! There is a tilt function though. It gives you enough room to get in the back too. Plus it reclines to being almost flat so you could sleep in it!

I might have a go at doing a write up for doing sunroof replacements as well this evening, shame I didn't take any pictures while I was doing it! :bang:

Last edited:
The twin canvas sunroofs, Im young and ignorant so I had a go myself!

£25 in vinyl, £1 thread and £1.50 machine needles and a weekend. (y) Simply put; removed old sunroofs, traced around them, marked out fold lines, stitch, double stitch, push threads inwards, tie off, fit, marvel :D

The twin canvas sunroofs, Im young and ignorant so I had a go myself!

£25 in vinyl, £1 thread and £1.50 machine needles and a weekend. (y) Simply put; removed old sunroofs, traced around them, marked out fold lines, stitch, double stitch, push threads inwards, tie off, fit, marvel :D

You mean like these??....:devil:...Only kidding..I know what its like when funds are tight!!

How about some red cinq sporting seatbelts to set off your seat nicely??

Attachments

• DSCN2797.JPG
    DSCN2797.JPG
    1,009.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN2039.JPG
    DSCN2039.JPG
    974.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN2562.JPG
    DSCN2562.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 25
Remarkable like those actually! ;) Although mine have the (Patent Pending ;)) wavy seams..... Adds to the chilled out look of the Panda!

Ohhhh Pretty seat belts! (y)

;) I'll have a look. I think the next job is the not so rock and roll job of changing the handbrake cable. Then I think it is getting the wire brush and some zinc paint on the door bottoms after that!

Oh you are my first and only friend so far! ;)

;) I'll have a look. I think the next job is the not so rock and roll job of changing the handbrake cable. Then I think it is getting the wire brush and some zinc paint on the door bottoms after that!

Oh you are my first and only friend so far! ;)

haha...that last line made me laugh!!!....i'm sure there will be others...:)

You mean like these??....:devil:...Only kidding..I know what its like when funds are tight!!

How about some red cinq sporting seatbelts to set off your seat nicely??

Thanks for the thread Pete!

OMG! I know that interior anywhere a Parade!!!

:eek: Look what you've done to those lovely seat frames I gave you! All they needed was a bit of foam and cloth :( ;).

Ha, no, good job there Pete, nice seat too. I fitted some similar to yours in my old BMW Cabrio that I will very soon be ebaying, I still have the originals and am now tempted to put them back in and keep the Recaros for a future panda :yum:.

Oh, and despite trashing my seat frames, I'll be your friend. See you at Brooklands (y).

Cheers Vern, Im up to two friends now! ;) The Recaros in the Panda are great, and if you have a pair that will look good! I remember your donor car having some seats in it! ;)

Im planning to leave early on Saturday morning to get to the gates earlier so Im near the front and hope they let me in! I could drive up and get a ticket on my day off on Friday though. But a hour in the car to get a ticket then drive back, hmmmm. :mad: Definately pre-ordering next year!!

Back