Technical fitting a bigger engine

Currently reading:
Technical fitting a bigger engine

cabriolet16vBertone

hi all
i have recently bought a 1.2 16v cabriolet and was wondering if i could put a bigger engine i.e a 20v coupe any advice would be helpful
many thanks
allan:slayer:

Not, I'd think, without a hell of a lot of work -- the 20v engine is a huge lump. 16v Coupe lump would be a better bet, but even so........

The Uno turbo and Punto GT lumps would be worth looking at if you're into engine swap masochism -- at least FIAT did it on a production basis.

1.4 16v (Stilo, Idea, 500, etc., the biggest FIRE engine) should be a relatively easy swap but sourcing all the bits and the ECU is an issue. Fair few in Centos now.

Of course, the main worry doing that with a Cabriolet is whether the chassis is up to a 100% + power hike........

many thanks fingers
just wondering as i have found a complete 20v coupe for £400 ono with leather interior and sexy alloys

many thanks again
allan:cry:

Re: advice please!!!!!!!!

20vt coupe engine is too big, if you can find a 16vt coupe engine (much rarer) they will fit but its no small task.

Possibilities are endless though depending on your hands on ability and the size of your bank balance.

You could do a GT conversion, you could drop a modern 1.4 16v in, you could tune the engine you have or even turbo convert the engine you have, or a 1.4 tjet would go in. As i said, your only really limited by your skills and cashflow.

As above really.

The 16VT is really the best Fiat/Lancia sourced engine you can fit in a Punto. But you will need :

Custom Engine Mounts
Custom Driveshafts
Custom Loom

+ all the unique plumbing, cooling and associated turbo pipes.

Even those who are extremely capable of such conversions have struggled with it big time. One thing to get it running. To turn it into a daily is another kettle of fish.

The simplest route for you would be to source a GT engine, ECU and wiring loom and do a straight transplant.

The engines we missed were the 1.8 n/a 16v fitted to the HGT and its very close relatives, the 1.8 16v and 2.0 litre 16v out of the later Alfa 155s.

These Alfa/FIAT engines never had the kudos of the older FIAT/Lancia twin cams, but are good engines if the cam belts are changed at the correct intervals (and scrap if they are not).

The 155 is an interesting beast in that it was, at various times, fitted with the Alfa 8v 2 litre, the Lancia/FIAT 16v 2 litre turbo, and the Alfa/FIAT 16v motors, as well as the Alfa V6.

Thank you very much to all i will check out all options and see which best suits my needs.......i will keep you all posted as to which i choose

many thanks again
allan

As above really.

The 16VT is really the best Fiat/Lancia sourced engine you can fit in a Punto. But you will need :

Custom Engine Mounts
Custom Driveshafts
Custom Loom

+ all the unique plumbing, cooling and associated turbo pipes.

Even those who are extremely capable of such conversions have struggled with it big time. One thing to get it running. To turn it into a daily is another kettle of fish.

The simplest route for you would be to source a GT engine, ECU and wiring loom and do a straight transplant.

Really not my kind of job, but 186 HP on a Punto Convertible chassis (with upgraded brakes to match) can be really a pain in the *ss for Astra Turbos and also the recent Golf GTI Convertible (just to call the same kind of vehicle)

Back