General First Time Car - No idea what I'm doing... Roof Bars?!

Currently reading:
General First Time Car - No idea what I'm doing... Roof Bars?!

Dancop

Hi all,

So I've just got my first car a few months ago, a cheeky Panda 2010 1.1 Active Eco.
I've been learning a lot recently but I'm stuck solid and even the Haynes book cant help me. I suspect doom and gloom by a friend pointed me to here.

Roof racks, talk to me.
I think my car would be described as a 'naked roof' (from what I've been reading).
However there seem to be two connection points at the front and the back that are only specific to Pandas (I'll attach a photo to clarify).
Seems like a plug covering up a bolt hole or something?

So I've been trying to find out if or how I can get a roof box attached to me car and it seems like there are two way.

One I go with the made to fit bars (of the horizontal variety) - tinyurl-8v9mzv72
Or I find some ... 'Roof Rails'? I think that's what they're called anyway.
And after fitting the rails I can then attack a cheaper Thule bar then box.

Then lets say I managed to fumble my way through actually purchasing the correct equipment... How on earth do I fit it?

I'm completely bamboozled so if anyone can point me into the right general direction or correct me if I've got the wrong names for things please do.

Anyhow thanks in advance for any help, appreciate ya!

-Dan :bang:

196515122_4213575768663190_855053938590865695_n.jpg

https://www.fiatforum.com/panda/447991-how-fit-longitudinal-roof-bars.html

there's two types of OEM

common type are fitted front to back, longitudinal

Pretty expensive new

Oldham fiat spares use to charge £30 S/H

then the rare cross type. These whistle if left on the car. Good look finding any S/H

max weight 50kg

Adding roof bars is classed as a modification and your insurance needs informing

No idea about third party

Last edited:
Your car is a 2003-12 169 so you are looking second hand. The roof bars are easy to fit. 30 mins max. You just unscrew the plastic plugs and bolt on the bars. The ends then clip on.

There are several different finishes, black, grey & aluminium. I think the aluminium ones look best, but I had quite a search to find any. I paid £80 in the end on ebay and the vendor was kind enough to deliver as was nearby. Watch the forum and ebay and with luck you will find some decent ones secondhand for £50 -£100. Breakeryard etc charge c.£120 or did nearly 3 years ago. Make sure you get all the parts including the fixing bolts.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi @Dancop, and welcome:)

Here's how the longitudinal roof bars attach - just one bolt at each end covered with plastic caps. As The Panda Nut says, you'll need to unscrew the plastic plugs.

Last time I needed bits for my Panda, no breakers anywhere near me had had a Panda in recently. Maybe they've all either been crushed or saved? Headed off to the fleabay instead.

Or you could put an appeal on the parts wanted listing on this forum: https://www.fiatforum.com/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=89

Good luck:)

Attachments

• Panda roof bars.jpg
    Panda roof bars.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
To remove potentially brittle plastic cap, put a rag soaked in hot water into a plastic bag. Then press the hot bag over the plastic for a minute before trying to tug at it. The warmth slightly softens the plastic making it easier to work with.

Back