Technical Fiorino 1.7TD Cambelt replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Fiorino 1.7TD Cambelt replacement

golitha

Hi folks,

I have just bought a lovely 1998 Fiorino 1.7 TD van with 80,000 miles on the clock. It doesn't appear to have ever had a new cambelt fitted, so I am eager to do the job before it breaks!

Can anyone explain the procedure to me? I have replaced cambelts on other engines in the past, so I have a good idea of what is involved, but I need all the fine details.

Many Thanks

Last edited:
I'm adding to my own question here. Does anyone out there have a method for accurately tensioning the new cambelt without using the official Fiat tool?

The Haynes manual for my old Diesel Metro described a dodge which involved hanging the correct weight from a lever of known length etc, which worked perfectly. If I could only briefly lay my hands on the official tool, I could measure and weigh it and fairly easily fabricate my own. Perhaps the unobtainable Porter Fiorino Manual gives an alternative method of tensioning the belt.

I'm starting to get desperate now. If I don't make progress with this job soon, I may have to admit miserable defeat and PAY someone to fit the belt!

Hi
I posted some specs a while ago from autodata on this site about a cambelt change. Do a search you might find it. I think I may have lost the data. As to tensioning the only method I know is twisting the cambelt through a quarter turn without forcing the twist.

Back