Finally a 100HP owner!

Currently reading:
Finally a 100HP owner!

snowy71

And now to finesse, already repainted the gear knob and added a BMC Air Filter and its only day 2!

Attachments

• IMG20221106110758.jpg
    IMG20221106110758.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG20221106170110.jpg
    IMG20221106170110.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 34
And now to finesse, already repainted the gear knob and added a BMC Air Filter and its only day 2!
That's looking pretty cool!
What kind of paint did you use? I'd totally screw up, have to drive somewhere at short notice, and end up with paint on right hand!
The contrast of Black, Red, on white looks awesome!

That's looking pretty cool!
What kind of paint did you use? I'd totally screw up, have to drive somewhere at short notice, and end up with paint on right hand!
The contrast of Black, Red, on white looks awesome!
Hi it's really easy. I took the top off the gear stick (simple but careful job easing off and not forcing it). Took the cap back to the light grey it started as (someone had badly painted mine silver), got a needle and scraped out the paint and rubbish inside the numbers. Then for the R used red touch up paint lying around in the garage, and for the numbers a random tin of black hammerite. Dipped the needle (pin) end in the paint and you drop the paint in the numbers/R and drag the pin along to spread it. Any excess you simple wipe off with a bit of kitchen roll and white spirit. Leave to dry for a couple of hours. Then I used Simoniz clear acrylic lacquer (Halfords, £7) applied a thin coat, dried, another 3 coats of apply and dry and hey presto. Cost £7 and dead easy, especially satisfying as you can't buy the top caps anymore. Then just popped it back on.

Hi it's really easy. I took the top off the gear stick (simple but careful job easing off and not forcing it). Took the cap back to the light grey it started as (someone had badly painted mine silver), got a needle and scraped out the paint and rubbish inside the numbers. Then for the R used red touch up paint lying around in the garage, and for the numbers a random tin of black hammerite. Dipped the needle (pin) end in the paint and you drop the paint in the numbers/R and drag the pin along to spread it. Any excess you simple wipe off with a bit of kitchen roll and white spirit. Leave to dry for a couple of hours. Then I used Simoniz clear acrylic lacquer (Halfords, £7) applied a thin coat, dried, another 3 coats of apply and dry and hey presto. Cost £7 and dead easy, especially satisfying as you can't buy the top caps anymore. Then just popped it back on.
You have MUCH more patience than me!

But your work has paid off!

Its why I bought the car, someone said "save the Panda" so I am! 🐼. Nothing more satisfying than doing something yourself at minimal cost rather than forking out for a lot more. I could have but there'd be no satisfaction in taking the easy route.. have a go, I'm just pleased that it's not a disaster! Plus it was raining on Sunday...
You have MUCH more patience than me!

But your work has paid off!

Its why I bought the car, someone said "save the Panda" so I am! 🐼. Nothing more satisfying than doing something yourself at minimal cost rather than forking out for a lot more. I could have but there'd be no satisfaction in taking the easy route.. have a go, I'm just pleased that it's not a disaster! Plus it was raining on Sunday...
It would be a disaster if I tried it!

Pandas are well worth saving! I'd love one of the 80s/90s no frills bare metal on the inside ones...

4x4 of course!

It would be a disaster if I tried it!

Pandas are well worth saving! I'd love one of the 80s/90s no frills bare metal on the inside ones...

4x4 of course!
I had a 750L in 1991.. 769cc and 34 powerful horses... Could beat anything away from the lights in 1st gear. 2nd gear onwards was a different story. This Panda now is a bit of a hobby car, lots of "the right things" planned to do to it and maybe dabble at a hill climb race/time trial..

I had a 750L in 1991.. 769cc and 34 powerful horses... Could beat anything away from the lights in 1st gear. 2nd gear onwards was a different story. This Panda now is a bit of a hobby car, lots of "the right things" planned to do to it and maybe dabble at a hill climb race/time trial..
Sounds amazing!
Photos, and loads of them please! Would be so good to view the journey!

I can well recommend Witson Radios (as per my install) and my cruise install!

The more gadgets the better!

Sounds amazing!
Photos, and loads of them please! Would be so good to view the journey!

I can well recommend Witson Radios (as per my install) and my cruise install!

The more gadgets the better!
Let the games begin!

Tonight was "empty the engine bay to clean the earth cable" night. All done, hopefully cures or eliminates the reason for the "rocking horse" effect when accelerating through the gears. Then it was matters more stylish with a new gaiter to finish off the gear knob repaint.

Attachments

• IMG20221115222918.jpg
    IMG20221115222918.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 22
Tonight was "empty the engine bay to clean the earth cable" night. All done, hopefully cures or eliminates the reason for the "rocking horse" effect when accelerating through the gears. Then it was matters more stylish with a new gaiter to finish off the gear knob repaint.
A bad earth causes so many issues - and people often neglect it!

Did you find it worked?

It works! Like others I was sceptical, more about me perhaps not doing something right, but all good, no chugging/hesitating. Now for rear springs/shocks to make it a little less bouncy. Then the Ragazzon centre exhaust section silencer delete. Etc!

It works! Like others I was sceptical, more about me perhaps not doing something right, but all good, no chugging/hesitating. Now for rear springs/shocks to make it a little less bouncy. Then the Ragazzon centre exhaust section silencer delete. Etc!
There's a lesson here!

Earth is so important! I've often thought about just making a new one at times on old engines, but, a good wire brushing fixes and improves many things!

Ok so out for a run and all fine. Back home for a bit then went again, EML light on and engine rough. Now inspecting the thermostat housing! Never a dull moment in Pandaland

Ok so out for a run and all fine. Back home for a bit then went again, EML light on and engine rough. Now inspecting the thermostat housing! Never a dull moment in Pandaland
Is it throwing any codes up on the OBD?
Rough running would take me to the usual suspects, oil, oil flow, Air filter, MAF, fuel - filters, lines, and don't discount bad fuel.

Ragging it may fix it...

Or make it worse....

But there are some real experts on this forum, well worth posting about the problem in one of the rooms! @Herts Hillhopper is one of the most knowledgeable on here ;-)

Is it throwing any codes up on the OBD?
Rough running would take me to the usual suspects, oil, oil flow, Air filter, MAF, fuel - filters, lines, and don't discount bad fuel.

Ragging it may fix it...

Or make it worse....

But there are some real experts on this forum, well worth posting about the problem in one of the rooms! @Herts Hillhopper is one of the most knowledgeable on here ;-)
Thanks, yet to buy an OBD. Oil ok, air filter new, MAP cleaned at the weekend (small amount of oil as usual). The thermostat looks ok though an old thread on here showed some "salty gunk crustation" at the end of a hose and that's the same with mine but nothing leaking. More than coincidence with me doing the earth lead last night. But tonight properly tested the car and it was better, now it's not... I see a few experts on here. Wish I were one!

Coil pack, sparks, fuel filter etc etc. Taking it to my local indy Northwest Performance tomorrow or Friday to get them to run checks. One step forwards, one back

Putting grease on the earth cable, as suggested by the same person on here who advocated the cleaning earth cable remedy, wouldn't cause an issue? I can't think of anything else and haven't touched anything else when doing the earth cable last night and there's no leaks anywhere I can if I had bumped something.

Thanks, yet to buy an OBD. Oil ok, air filter new, MAP cleaned at the weekend (small amount of oil as usual). The thermostat looks ok though an old thread on here showed some "salty gunk crustation" at the end of a hose and that's the same with mine but nothing leaking. More than coincidence with me doing the earth lead last night. But tonight properly tested the car and it was better, now it's not... I see a few experts on here. Wish I were one!
If you think the earth made a difference, try cleaning it more - it may be what was done made a difference, but more needs to be done to make the difference last!

Experts once knew nothing, they now know something, because someone told them, showed them, or they did until they did it right. Soon, you'll be an earth expert! 😂

Crusty liquid? Milky coolant / oil?

Back