Technical Filling up a punto

Currently reading:
Technical Filling up a punto

punto scotty

Hi all i have a 5dr punto 75sx ( r reg 98) i have problems filling it up as in it clicks out ever 5pence and i cant pull the fuel lever full as it keeps clicking out , Im told this is a problem with all puntos but im not sure ,Someone suggested to me its cos there is something in there to stop you sifffening petrol out and if you remove that it works ok is that true any one else got the same problems ??
Email me please an let me know

S Taylor

get that all the time. even on the new one. all i do is pull the pump handle out slightly. seems to work

pop the little pea cosies on...highly effective

Yep, had the same problems. It differs from petrol pump to petrol pump.

Normally it all just depends what angle the nossle is at, and how far in it is, but you do get the really stubborn pumps that just won't let you get much petrol out! [:(!]:)

Nothign to worry about!

Drive it like you stole it!

Hi there, I came to these forums to specifically find out about this problem. I realise it is some kind of purposeful design flaw by Fiat but I am on my fourth Punto now, (I now have a V Plate HGT), and I can't beleive that they STILL haven't sorted this out.

On my mark 1 Punto's I found that tilting the nozzle almost 90 degrees towards you and only hold the handle half way in usually worked and filled the car up just as quick as any other car.

But these mark 2's are nigh on impossible. As has been suggested it does have something to do with the pump/nozzle itself and the longer the nozzle and the further you can get the nozzle in seems to be the key. Texaco pumps are notoriously impossible with large spillages an alarming regularity.

I haven't tried the suggestion of turning the nozzle completely upside down yet but I soon will because I am sick of standing on the forecourt like a plonker for 7 minutes while I put a tenners worth of fuel in my beloved Punto.

Thanks.

:)

-- When I Met Her I Was Seated Beneath A Rialto Satelite --

took me bloody ages to fill up my MK2 again the other day....TESCO pumps seem to be the worst offenders i've found.

i'm the jelly baby...twisted jelly baby

<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Comic Sans MS"><font color="navy"></font id="navy">It seems like we all look like we are trying to get as much in the fuel tank as we can for a fiver!!! I sometimes take ages to fill up and have tried all ways to overcome the problem and can promise you that if there is a gorgeous bird at the next pump, it can take as long as it does, i dont give a F***.:p

2000 ELX , (1998 60S got mashed)

Its not so much a design flaw, if you hire a Punto in its home country (Italy BTW) the petrol pump slides in lovely and fill perfectly.
Fords fill up perfectly in the UK but not very well in the USA or Japan.
If you get a chance, have a look at the petrol inlet of a proper Jap car, you can get your fist in it.

Upside down works every time, not sure about Mk2, give it a go and post the findings.

I've always had problems with my Mk2, and never found a solution. I use Shell more or less every fill and after scratching the paint trying to get it filling faster by trying various rotations am resigned to slow fills. At least I don't need to fill it until well over 400 miles.

I had hoped that having a Fiat, and using Shell who supply Ferrari F1 would make life easier - oh well!

Punto Mk2 ELX

So I'm not the only one then :)
I found Just Turning the whole handle so the bottom is touching the (Uhm.. how do you call it, cover thingy) helps.
Some pumps better then others, I stopped tanking at the pump nearest to my home, because it just won't fill more than half the tank.
Other pumps no problem (and cheaper :) )

i found that repeatedly smashing the nozzle against the car and then the pump didn't help one bit :D

the descent into insanity continues unabated

try hitting yourself on the head with the nozzle richie - and if that fails just suckthe petrol outta the nozzle then spit it into the tank :D

SEI POWER
The NOS Guzzler with more posts than you - - is Donz

Might not be as fast this way, but certainly more entertaining

"The Not so Fast but Furious"
Who cares about my post count - it's all about quality not quantity!!
(at least thats what i tell myself anyway)

...For us :D:p

Who cares about my post count - it's all about quality not quantity!!
(at least thats what i tell myself anyway)

maybe she is used to putting strange shaped nozzles into tiny little holes?

(sorry couldn't resist)

SEI POWER

NOS Guzzlers are just lower beings :D

LMAO! :D

lego-rally.gif
burnout.gif

Back