FIATS most important car.

Currently reading:
FIATS most important car.

in Fiats history then what is it's most important car?

is it the Uno which effectively saved FIAT by being a best seller in the 80's

The Tipo for addressing FIATs build quality (especially rust proofing) and also for providing the platform for the Bravo/a, Marea, Tempra, Alfa 145/146/147/155/156/GTV/Spyder, Lancia delta (mk II) etc etc

500?

whats your thoughts?

(lets get a good discussion going)

Topolino, 500, Uno, Punto and Grande Punto. All were significant in either design and/ or for selling huge numbers in Europe and even further afield.

The 500 was Fiat's equivilent to the Mini and gave affordable compact motoring to the masses so was probably one of the most important. And as Besbie said, the Uno broke new ground and set new standards in the early eighties as well as becoming a European best seller. It also helped put Fiat back on the sales map as well as turning round their fortunes.

But no denying the mk1 Punto and Cinquecento were also significant for both sales and design.

At least there are plenty of Fiat models to choose from!

Grande Punto cos it appears to have saved fiat's ass...also while the uno may have been good in sales terms, they are still making it in brazil could anything that amazingly crap be described as an important car? it did nowt for the companies image. I had a 45 for my 1st car it had been garaged its entire life and was spotless inside and out only done 29k...it cost 1300 quid (not including buying it) in the nine months i had it before I chopped it in

The 500 was Fiat's equivilent to the Mini and gave affordable compact motoring to the masses so was probably one of the most important.

Equivelent yes and pre-dating the Mini byu quite some time. I would agree that the 500 is up there and probably the 127, being the first ever Supermini on the scene and opening up a whole new sector.

Uno - possibly but that goes into the pot with all small FIATs as that has always been their bread and butter business and has kept them alive all these years.

think i'd go for the tipo as well.

then again the X1/9 was a big part of fiat's later fortunes.

its the same as mazda's mx5, its a car that gave the badge a warmer feeling in our minds and made other models in the range seem more desirable.

plus the x1/9 was a 'proper' fiat, hard to work on, faulty as hell (possibly one of the worse ever), but great to drive and made with passion (rather than showing any consideration to usual production car values).

the things we love about fiat today are the same things the X1/9 gave us. we all want a baby ferrari no matter how much it hurts.

I think they sold more uno's than any other model (bread and butter) and they still make it it will never die!!!! Ant!

Attachments

• 250px-Mille.jpg
    250px-Mille.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 185
Has to be the latest car they make, because image will be judged by that and financial ruin or resurrection will be based on those cars, not the historic cars. Lets face it, the cars are about ok, the dealers less so. Now then, a joint FIAT design body with Japanese electrics and a rethink on the bits that let FIAT down (ECU's, Power steering motors etc,) and some real quality FIAT Techs to make things that broke better, now THAT would be making the most important FIAT ever.

also while the uno may have been good in sales terms, they are still making it in brazil could anything that amazingly crap be described as an important car? it did nowt for the companies image.

• The Uno won the coveted 'Car of the Year' award in 1983 for it's design, packaging, spaciousness, performance and economy.
  • It was the first Fiat to be fitted with the FIRE engine, which is still being used today.
  • It was the benchmark that all other Supermini models were judged by in the mid eighties.
  • It was also the first car to carry the 'Supermini' tag and in many respects defined the breed.
  • It covered a range from a lowly economical 45 base model shopping car up to a fire breathing turbocharged monster. There was a model for everyone.
  • The Uno model alone boosted Fiats sales in the UK considerably during the 1980's and at various points in its life was the top selling car in Europe.
  • It was seen as a chic and modern car to have appeal to all age ranges.
  • It boosted Fiats image from that of rusty weird looking cars to being thoroughly modern and desirable.

It is, of course, hopelessly outdated by todays standards but the fact that it is still being made is testament to the strength of the original design.

Not bad for an 'amazingly crap' car. ;)

It was also the first car to carry the 'Supermini' tag and in many respects defined the breed.

Everything you say above is true but this comment is not. The Uno was and still is a good car but the 127 was the first "Supermini" and defined the breed. The Uno merely carried on the legacy of the, ina many ways, far superior predecessor.

Probably the Punto I'd say, really got Fiat out of a rut and kept much needed cash flowing in. The coupe, whilst obviously not raking in any sort of cash, I think helped fiat's brand image and "halo" effect that helped sell other models back in the '90s.

Fiat 500, designed and built in the post war years, helped Fiat and Italy's economy as well as bringing mobility to the masses. No good for me though, I got stuck in one at the age of 10 and now I'm 6'2" and 14 Stone.

Back