Technical Fiat Uno mk2, Heater not coming on?

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Uno mk2, Heater not coming on?

Hi all, I've had this issue for a while on my 1993 mk2 Uno 1.1 I.E.

With the interior heater / fan on my Uno, as it doesn't switch on at all?

Not too much of a problem at the moment, but when winter comes it would be nice to have a working heater!!

It used to work sometimes, if I tapped the center console on the dash a bit with my hand. Or would come on after going over a bump in the road, so I figured it's a dodgy switch etc...

I replaced the switch with a brand new one from Fiat, but no good unfortunately. Is there any relays, relating to the interior heater / fan that I can check? Or a fuse or something, as the only option at the moment is to take the dash out!!

To get to the heater box, as the interior heater fan is encased by the heater box.

As it's the only other part I can think of, that might be faulty. If anyone has any experience of this, I'd appreciate it (y)

Hi. I assume your problem is related to the heater fan not working rather than a lack of hot water getting from the engine to the heater matrix. The fuse should be easy to check out. I think it is number 11 or 12 from memory counting down from the top left in the fuse box and marked with a fan symbol. If your clock works OK, it is unlikely to be a blown fuse though. My guess would be a bad wiring connection somewhere in the fan circuit. Loose or dirty earth connections are often the cause and not difficult to sort if you can trace them. If you have or can borrow a multimeter this will be a great help in checking whether there is power to and from the switch to the fan motor etc.

Hi. I assume your problem is related to the heater fan not working rather than a lack of hot water getting from the engine to the heater matrix. The fuse should be easy to check out. I think it is number 11 or 12 from memory counting down from the top left in the fuse box and marked with a fan symbol. If your clock works OK, it is unlikely to be a blown fuse though. My guess would be a bad wiring connection somewhere in the fan circuit. Loose or dirty earth connections are often the cause and not difficult to sort if you can trace them. If you have or can borrow a multimeter this will be a great help in checking whether there is power to and from the switch to the fan motor etc.

Hi, as far as I can tell it's not an issue related to the water. It's just something electrical, as you move the switch across and nothing happens on any of the 3 speeds.

Thanks for the tip on the fuse locations :D I'll double check those just in case. But the clock does work, and illuminates which is rarity!!

I did have a look again last night around the fuse box, and the wiring loom from that. And found 4/5 wires, one coming from the back of the center console. All with factory looking plugs, but they don't connect to anything.

And don't connect to each other? which is very odd!! So no idea what they are for, they could be spare maybe.

But also I did notice some non factory wiring connectors etc.. on some bits of wiring. But they might be for the radio, or the old alarm. That the previous owner had, which had been disconnected before I bought the car. So I'll get the radio and lower console out, to give better access to that.

Get hold of a multi meter, and see what's going on. Never used one, but about time I started learning :)

Appreciate the help, and I'll hopefully reply back with an update.

An update on this as I took the car off the road, so now it's back up and Mot'd I want to sort this heater. I checked the basics an can find no trouble with the fuse box, but for the life of me I can't find the wiring from the heater fan motor? Searched under the dashboard for a good hour, but can't see where it comes out. As I think it maybe a dodgy connection, on the connector plug from the heater fan to the plug on the wirring of the car.

Is it under the windscreen trim, on the outside of the car? If anyone knows or can help, I'd be really greatful as desperate to get to the bottom of this fault��

Hi again :)

Did you put a meter( or bulb) on the cables that fit onto the motor?

Did you put 12 volts directly onto the motor.. to check its not seized: dead?

Do what Charlie asked here. And mind that the acces to wires on the motor is easy. There could be the problem, they are fit onto the motor by connectors wich could be dodgy. And by testing them (the best way is using a multimetre) you will know if you need to look under the dash for wiring. My bet is you don't need to.

Usualy you can find them on the heater motor, take that down and you will see them. And tos as Charlie advised you: test the DC on the wires (there, at the end, where they hook to the motor) and test the motor as well, aply 12 V directly to it.

i know its a old thread,but i had a similar problem with my heater fan.
if u tap the ignition key a smidge backwards without switching engine off while driving,it goes on,lol
still works for me

Back