Technical fiat stilo

Currently reading:
Technical fiat stilo

[email protected]

hi, hope some1 can help. my fiat stilo broke down 2 wks ago, was ok then it just wouldnt accelerate. garage said it was throttle body now are saying it might need new ecu, which will cost me a fortune. There was no warning light to indicate there was an ecu probem tho. could any1 tell me if it could be something else.

car went to fiat dealer today, expecting bad news tomorrow. i had the car at 1 garage they said it was throttle body, they got the part, fitted it, then said it helped a little but needed another part. i said they were at it and took it to another garage. car conked out completely on the way there so garage had to tow it, 2nd garage have since told me the throttle part the 1st garage got was 2nd hand, diagnostic check at 2nd garage and fiat has said throttle, would it not say ecu replacement? hope all that makes sense.

Last edited:
generally the ecu will not report a fault with itself, in some cases it can, but in most cases you have to decide the ecu is faulty from the behavior (e.g. no comms with examiner) or condition (e.g. burnt out on inspection) not the fault code it gives you. similarly murder victims do not tell you they are dead, but you can work it out by the fact they are not breathing or they have a knife sticking out their chest.

hi, got news i was dreading £800 to fix my stilo, needs new coil, throttle body and ecu, there gonna do cheapest thing first to see if helps b4 puttin in he biggies.:slayer:

I would start looking at ECU,this is just my own opinion (from past experience) starting off with ecu supplies & connection between ecu & throttle body.

I cant comment on another techs diagnosis or the reasoning behind it as unless the car is physically infront of me (which wouldn't be good as there would be tyre marks on new living room carpet) I (anyone) can only speculate.

I know this is not what you want to hear but just being honest:)

thanks, i,m just hoping that is the problem and can get on with driving my lovely wee car. if they replace ecu and it doesnt fix the problem, do i still need to pay?

thanks 4 that, do u have any suggestions about what i can say 2 my garage? this is doing my head in, i keep thinkin i,m being stung.:worship:

Back