General Fiat Seicento Sporting Ignition Problems

Currently reading:
General Fiat Seicento Sporting Ignition Problems

supermonkeyballs

Hello Team.

Little bit stuck and looking for help.

I have had a Fiat Seicento sporting.

I have had it for over three years now without a single problem. Its a lovely car and very cheap to run. It's only done 32,000 miles and its a Y plate.

You see I went to Tesco's on Tuesday, all problem free, returned to the car to leave and it wouldn't turn over/start.

By this I mean, the key would operate as it should in the barrel, it would fit in and turn as it should, the immobiliser yellow light goes off on the dash, so the chip in the key is talking to the E.C.U as it should, the the fuel pump makes the right noise, but as you turn the key to the right fully as if to start the car, there is no ignition or in fact anything past the fuel pump doing its thing, nothing happens, I.E no power to the starter motor, so to start with I though the starter motor had died because the car bumped straight away and drove home fine. It will happily sit on idle no problems for ever and a day, so it's not timing or fuel. Just ignition of the engine.

So Wednesday I jacked the car up and hit the starter motor. Whacked it a few times with a rubber hammer (not a lot of space down there) and got in the driver seat and the car started fine first time.

Not being one for having the problem hanging over my motoring I brought a new starter motor straight away.

Now here's the thing.

I fitted the new starter motor straight away that same day. Got in thinking all would be well and nothing.

Exactly the same problem as before.

Clearly me hitting it and it firing was just luck, or so I though.

So I got my brother over and we started to do all the normal stuff to make sure.

The battery has loads of power, (even under load) the earths all seem good. (The ones I can find). I have tried firing the engine when it's hooked up to my Scooby which is pumping out over 13 volts so I don't think it's power lose from the battery.

Then as I was sat there thinking about what it could be, I turned the key very, very slowly in the barrel and it worked.

So the new problem is that I have found that if I rotate the key very slowly in the barrel the car will sometimes ignite the engine as if no problem exists.

This method though is very hit and miss. Sometimes it will ignite other times nothing.

The key does turn the yellow key light for the immobiliser off every time and it doesn't feel lose in the barrel.

My question is, clearly the barrel is what tells/sends the pulse to the starter motor to actually rotate and start the engine.

Can you test these ignition barrels?

If I have an earthing problem, will the car fire at all? Or can it still fire on the odd occasion with a crapy earth?

I'm assuming that when the key is turned that something inside the barrel makes a connection. I'm wondering because the window of moment of the key moving into its magical ignition spot is so small to actually get it to fire, is it a connection problem within the barrel or is it the pulse being sent to the starter where the problem lies?

My brother has also pointed out that sometimes if you hold the key all the way to the right after slowly turning it, you will think that it's not hit "the sweet spot" so you go past the point which it sometimes fire on, so you keep going all the way to the right with the key until it won't turn anymore, you keep then keep it there for a couple of seconds and all of a sudden it will fire. Almost like it's had to built up to wanting to do it.

This method is of course hit and miss and it's getting less prone to igniting now "under the slow key method"

Any help at all would be good as with Christmas here I already spent money on a starter motor I didn't probably need :-(

Thanks for your time.

Rich
Cornwall.
UK

By the way two things I should mention.

I have recently ran a reversing sensor from the back light 12 volt bulb, can't see why that would change anything but still.

And I also took the dash surround of today and tried the key trick, as I read that making sure the two plug are in the back of barrel can help.

When the surround was off as I turn the key I can hear what I can only describe as clinking from in and around the barrel as you rotate the key slowly. This of course may be normal. But it could also be arking of electricity, but then I imagine there is arking going on as you turn the key as new points of contact are being made. Either way I'm still clueless of how to proceed. I don't really want to buy as new set of keys battle and E.C.U unless it's really that. Thanks again.

Back