Technical Fiat Scudo 2.0ltr JTd Turbo Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Scudo 2.0ltr JTd Turbo Problem

Dougall Mctavish

The problem started when I was driving along steadily then I started to get a hissing sound as I depressed the accelerator (no loss of power at this point), when lifted my foot off the accelerator the hissing stopped. After a few miles the engine management light cam on and now there is reduced power. Any ideas what might be causing this?

The problem started when I was driving along steadily then I started to get a hissing sound as I depressed the accelerator (no loss of power at this point), when lifted my foot off the accelerator the hissing stopped. After a few miles the engine management light cam on and now there is reduced power. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Hissing sound from where? If the check engine light is on, first thing to do is to get the obd2 scanner and read the codes, then proceed from there. If there is a hissing sound under the bonnet, it sounds like a vacuum leak, but it is really hard to diagnose it like this. Lack of info.

Did you get black smoke from the exhaust.?
Could be a split, loose turbo hose, they usually leave oily residues where the leak is. Might help you find it.
If you can get to the turbo you could remove the intake/Inlet pipe to inspect the turbo impeller, look for obvious damage and check for free play, the impeller should rotate very easily with no free play.

Thanks Igno. I apologise for the lack of information, but what I have given is as much I can tell you as the hissing stopped when the EM light came on, I'm guessing the ECU has now disabled the turbo. I was driving when the hissing started and the EM light came on before I could check under the bonnet. It sounded like the hissing was coming from the near side though, which is where the turbo is located (I think). When it stops raining I'll get under the bonnet and check the pipes. Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply.

Thanks Thefox, I didn't get any black smoke that I noticed. About six months ago the lower intercooler pipe split and I did get black smoke then. I will check the pipes as soon as I can and think you may well be right, fingers crossed as this should be straight forward to fix. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

Back