Technical Fiat Punto S 60 Team (V Reg, MK1, 1999)

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Punto S 60 Team (V Reg, MK1, 1999)

Chris Deeming

Hey guys,

Some of you might remember I had a problem with my new Fiat Punto a few weeks ago. It's all sorted out, the radiator had a leak in it, thus why it was overheating.

Now everything is fine, but I have a few questions.

My first one is about central locking... I'm led to believe that my model (especially considering its age) should have central locking, however I have to open all of the doors individually.

My father, who once had a Fiat Cinquento, suggested using the red-key, but that still doesn't make a difference. Any ideas on what may be causing it?

I've read in the Punto manual that this can occur if a door isn't closed properly or obviously if the central locking has completely failed.

Any of you guys came across instances of this, and also are there any really easy idiot-proof things to try to possibly fix it?

My next question really is sort of related to my first problem a few weeks ago. The car doesn't start smoking as it was before, however what kind of temperature reading should I be getting after long-ish periods of driving?

I think that's about it... for now anyway!

Cheers guys :D

EDIT: Remembered one more question; should my model also have PAS? It's quite stiff when steering it. I drove a 2.5 litre BMW last week that doesn't have power steering and even that's light compared to my lovely little Punto.

Last edited:
Chris Deeming said:
My first one is about central locking... I'm led to believe that my model (especially considering its age) should have central locking, however I have to open all of the doors individually.

Your source is mis-guided; the S Team does not have central locking. The 'S' models (Team or otherwise) never came with central locking.

Chris Deeming said:
My father, who once had a Fiat Cinquento, suggested using the red-key, but that still doesn't make a difference. Any ideas on what may be causing it?

The red key holds all the information for the immobiliser; keep it locked away somewhere nice and safe, never ever loose it ;)

Chris Deeming said:
My next question really is sort of related to my first problem a few weeks ago. The car doesn't start smoking as it was before, however what kind of temperature reading should I be getting after long-ish periods of driving?

I can't remember what the temp gauge looks like on the Mk1, but it would need to be about half way between the bottom of the scale and top of the scale, and keeping constant.

Chris Deeming said:
EDIT: Remembered one more question; should my model also have PAS? It's quite stiff when steering it. I drove a 2.5 litre BMW last week that doesn't have power steering and even that's light compared to my lovely little Punto.

No PAS either on the S Team ;) Other than diesel models (which all had it) only the 85 16v and 90 8v models had PAS, as did the GT. At the very end of it's life the 60SX also got PAS as standard too

JTD Monkey said:
Your source is mis-guided; the S Team does not have central locking. The 'S' models (Team or otherwise) never came with central locking.

The red key holds all the information for the immobiliser; keep it locked away somewhere nice and safe, never ever loose it ;)

I can't remember what the temp gauge looks like on the Mk1, but it would need to be about half way between the bottom of the scale and top of the scale, and keeping constant.

No PAS either on the S Team ;) Other than diesel models (which all had it) only the 85 16v and 90 8v models had PAS, as did the GT. At the very end of it's life the 60SX also got PAS as standard too
Wow, fair enough. Thanks for the information. I still love the car :D

Temperatures may be an issue though. Certainly doesn't overheat to the extent of smoke pouring out of it, but the temperature guage is quite often between the middle and the top of the guage; more often than not being right towards the top.

Know of a good place to get replacement wheel trims for a Mk1?

Back