Fiat Punto MK2 full audio kit out

Currently reading:
Fiat Punto MK2 full audio kit out

emmfield

Hi all,

I've been reading this forum for the last few weeks as I've recently bought a MK2 Punto, and am ready to fully kit it out with a decent sound system.

I really want to go for a decent sound stage, clarity and punchy bass.
So my ideal set up will most likely consist of 2 x 6.5" coaxials or components in the front and just a sub and amp in the back.

What I've already bought is -

Kenwood KDC-237SG Head Unit
Sony Xplod XM-504Z 3/4 Channel Amp

The amp has high pass and low pass filters which you can alter the settings of. I will be bridging 2 of the outputs to provide me with a 250watt output for a sub, the other two outputs will power 2 front door speakers.

I'm looking at either Alpine or Infinity coaxials or components, are the components any harder to fit? do you have to cut any extra holes in the door as all I see at the moment is just one speaker in each door?

Ones I'm particularly interested in are the Alpine SPR-17c

And now a sub, again, I'm looking at alpine, infinity or jbl (it needs to be in an enclosure also) any suggestions?

So, any suggestions, or comments on what I've already bought are much appreciated! And some help on how exactly to set the sound up so I can get the best clarity, bass and loudness please!

Thanks alot :)

Hi, my name is Nathan :)

Ive recently been kitting out my Punto MK2 with audio. I bought a FLI Trap 12" passive, the RMS of this sub is 300. Perfect to be driven with two bridged channels. I bought it mainly because of the space and design. However, avoid the active as its only driven by a 100 watt rms amp which is 1/3 of the sub RMS.

Ive also been racking my brains with which components to buy, the maximum mounting depth is ~49mm so for any set of components/coax you will need to make a MDF type baffle board and get some Autoleads speaker pods (SAK-1409). The tweeters go just behind where you adjust your mirror, which again could do with some modding :confused: Also you've got to think where to put the cross over box etc.

Im going to run my power cables to the amp in the boot, rca cables on the other side to avoid interference. Then bring the speaker cables back to the components/sub in the boot.

Anyway, Ive thrown some ideas at you (y)

Nathan,

Last edited:
I have pioneer custom fits in the front of my mk2 punto, as you say , you are limited by depth. the 6.5" JBL 2 ways (cant remember the model no, GTO something) also fit in the front doors and work as well as the pioneer custom fits. rear speakers are a pair of 8" tannoy dual concentrics and crossovers removed from a pair of tannoy hifi speakers, in a 3/4" thick mdf shelf covered in speaker cloth, head unit is a blaupunkt DAB54

Sound quality is excellent (like the difference from going from a mini system n your house to a proper separates system), you can get a decent soundstage, and the sound is 'fast' with no bass overhang at all.

The front speakers in punto's are terrible, only words to describe them

personally mate i would go for alpine over infinity and jbl-
or check out kicker gear i have kicker in mine and they sound pretty ok:D

Back