Punto (Mk2/2b) Fiat Punto Mia 1.2 2001 Problems

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) Fiat Punto Mia 1.2 2001 Problems

sinders13

Hi there,

firstly hello all, first time here and hoping for some advice

I have a fiat punto mia 1.2, although old this car has done me well the past few years.

However recently the fan started blowing cold (although on hot) and then the car overheated. I had only just topped everything up the day before but upon taking the cap off I had murky water literally pumping out. Sat for a bit longer, then topped up and managed to get home.

I know nothing about cars but I'm guessing this is a big problem? Is it likely to be a costly job (if anyone can tell me what the problem may be) I appreciate it's an old car now and probably read for the scrap pile but being 7month pregnant I could really do with my car (or another if the case may be)

hoping someone can give me some kind advice. Thanks :)

I'd take the oil filler cap off and check for mayonnaise like deposit. Could be head gasket. Also if you take the top of coolant reservoir and you may notice a smell of petrol. That's my first though. Dont open when hot as releasing pressure can boil the water and cause burns

It could be a simple as a thermostat failed, or it could be a blown head gasket which is not so cheap, the only way you'll know is to get it to a garage for testing, or to a friend or relative who can help you out.

At 7 months pregnant i wouldn't suggest you get your hands dirty

Back