Fiat Punto jet black ll, 2014, 1.4 petrol

Currently reading:
Fiat Punto jet black ll, 2014, 1.4 petrol

carbon84

Fiat Punto jet black ll 1.4 petrol
To start with I know it's a low powered car, that doesn't really bother me! What I'm more interested in is running super smooth, both in road feel (steering, suspension, etc) and overall engine feel\running. I'm finding it hard to find guides or specific upgrades for the model. Everything seems to be for the grande or Evo models.
So to the point:
Anyone link to some good but cheapish coilover kits?
Will parts for the Punto Evo, or even abarth parts fit my vehicle?
What upgrades can you suggest?
Links or company names would be helpful.
Cheers guys

Nothing wrong with low powered Fiats. My old Uno SX (which I lowered and stiffened and put wider profile tyres on) handle beautifully. In fact with only 46BHP at the wheels it put many other more powerful cars to shame on the track!

In your specific quest you need to tread carefully. You say "running super smooth". Any suspension upgrades are going to make for a more stable ride, better handling, cornering etc. but they will come at a loss of a softer and smoother ride.

What one has to do is balance your objectives. Going back a few years Koni, SPAX, SACHS, others did straight replacement adjustable struts/shocks without the need to go for more advanced coil over setups. This is probably where I would start my research. These were easily adjustable via a knob on the top. Open bonnet/boot and twiddle.

They are also usable with existing springs with the need to lower or stiffen. What uprated adjustable shocks give you is more initial inertial stability, lower roll, lift and drive rates. Of course ultimately the final angle of dangle etc. comes down to spring stiffness and rate.

I suggest you just do a little research into general suspension dynamics and the effect of springs and dampers to get an understand/feel as to what changing any component will do to handling and ride.

When it comes to tyres then this is another ball game. Many people have gone for larger wheels and lower profile tyres only to regret the decision. Generally speaking the lower the profile the hasher/firmer the ride becomes. On the other hand lower profile = less sidewall deflection = lest understeer (not always).

One alternative to radical wheel/tyre changes is to stick with the same diameter tyre and go for a slightly wider tyre with same profile or a smaller profile. There are charts on the web that give you combination of tyre width, profile and rolling circumference / MPH deviation. You make the decision as to what is a reasonable match/compromise taking into account speedometer factors.

NOTE! with a wider profile tyre and the same wheel rim offset (ET number) you have to be certain that the inside tyre wall will hot rub the front struts or the rear shocks / trailing arms and also allowing for tyre deflection whilst cornering. Similarly out wheel arch clearance has to be looked at as well, especially on full lock and suspension load/depression.

One last point! I make/made a habbit of not making irreversible changes when modifying a car. Exmaple: some people want more negative camber so the drill out / slot the top strut to hub mounting hole and then often weld a plate in. Other get their cam shafts reprofiled which may also require the cam carrier to be skimmed. Again to put thing back you have to find another original cam carrier. For me changes should "bolt on / bolt off" and original components able to be refitted.

Just my personal thoughts / experience.

They are also usable with existing springs with the need to lower or stiffen. What uprated adjustable shocks give you is more initial inertial stability, lower roll, lift and drive rates. Of course ultimately the final angle of dangle etc. comes down to spring stiffness and rate.
Meant to write "They are also usable with existing springs WITHOUT the need to lower or stiffen.

Moderator / Ben : The timeout for being able to edit/correct a post is TOO short. Please can we have it increased.

Bearing in mind they are mcpherson struts up front and torsion beam on the rear, making an “super smooth” ride isn’t going to happen. All cheap “coil over” kits will have have a harder ride. If I remember correctly the jet black also has 17 inch wheels which on a punto makes for short tyre wall and no suspension softening from the tyres either.

The adjustment usually only applies to the springs and only on the front because on the back they are usually just a new shock and separate spring. so as far as the rear is concerned it makes no difference over Oenone except maybe harder shocks to really feel all those bumps. On the front you can tween the height of the suspension up and down and maybe make the ride a bit harder still, but really unless you’re going to drop £3k on a custom set of springs and shocks then you’re not going to achieve your dream of a smooth and silky ride.

You will also always have to declare the change to your insurance company, failure to do so will result in your insurance being invalid (even if someone crashes into you and it’s not your fault they can still refuse to pay out) worse still there have been a number of deaths and prosecution for people who have messed about with the suspension on their cars, so what ever you have done it needs to be done professionally and using quality parts, worth noting that a lot of coil over kits are cheaper and a worse quality than the OEM parts.

Yes the 2012 and later puntos are basically an evo with some cost cutting measures

Back