Technical Fiat punto evo Multi-air 135 PK wastegate actuator ratlle

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat punto evo Multi-air 135 PK wastegate actuator ratlle

BWA

Hello forum members,

Last week i bought my first car a fiat punto evo multi-air turbo with 135 HP build in 2011 with 88000 KM (54680.665 Miles) on the clock. Its the sport edition and i am super happy driving it and really like the looks.

Unfortunately 2 days ago a friend of mine noticed a ratlling sound coming from the enginebay after i let the revs from the engine drop. I think it has been there since i bought the car but i didnt notice because its hard to hear when you are inside the car.

I did some research online and decided to investigate arround the turbo area which is where the sound is coming from. Together with a friend, I removed the heat shield from my engine to see if the sound is coming from the wastegate actuator rod. I have posted a video where i rev the engine while holding the actuator rod with a piece of cloth and the sounds seems to be less loud but not totally gone. I cant post the youtube link because this is my first message but have already contacted the moderator so should be here soon.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7DS0RbMPnw

After my research online i found out i am not the only one with a ratlle coming from the actuator rod. Unfortunatly there are many ways to fix this problem. Some say turbo needs replacement and others say just tighten the actuator rod.

A new turbo would be very expensive so i hope to avoid this. So i am thinking about tightening the actuator rod slightly. However, I am afraid that this will also increase the turbo pressure with all its consequences.

Are their any others members who had this problem or can give me advise how to handle this problem. Any help is appreciated and would help me enormously!

Hope to hear from someone soon!

Last edited:
Hi,
Sorry for the bump - but this might help future readers.
I got a 135turbo my2011 with 175K km.
I bought it off a friend who thought that this is just multiair noises.
With the help of this forum I pinpointed the problem to the wastegate actuator.
i tightened it a bit till it stopped feeling loose and Voila!
my boost is aroung 1bar right now (i got a racechip box on my car as well).
The car is running relatively well (eats a tiny bit of oil though, but I'm hard on it).

Back