General Fiat Punto Dodgy Electrics?

Currently reading:
General Fiat Punto Dodgy Electrics?

centralsham

Hi all,

Please does anybody have any idea about this one?

54 plate Punto 1.2 8v 3dr (without ABS), last Punto B4 the Grande came in.

All electrics fine when ignition in MAR including the reverse light working! But when engine started and car placed in reverse gear I lose reversing light, heaters/fans, windscreen wipers front & rear and rear heated windscreen (even though the indicator still lights in the dash). Have checked fuses/bulbs etc.

Place the car into any forward gear (and sometimes apply/release the handbrake too) and the car sorts itself out, sometimes straight away and sometimes it can take up to 10 minutes to get my wipers and heaters etc back again.

I've noticed a clicking sound (like a small relay) coming from behind the steering column that seems to be linked to the problem.

Earthing fault? Any ideas?

Thanks for reading this.

Centralsham

check all earths.

there is a very important earth under the dash that should be spot-welded to the chassis. feel around for any loose wiring. i had a few problems on my car when i first got it and it turned out the welding had come off so had it bolted on.

that earth is for computer, dash, steering etc.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Have checked all the earths etc and could not find problem.... but I just took the car back to ATS this morning to have my exhaust adjusted as it has just had two new parts fitted and was rattling.

Eureka! Apparently the exhaust was knocking against the rear axle and now it's been adjusted everything back working normally again. Stray feed I assume?!

Anyway thanks for taking time to respond to my query.

Centralsham

Hi I Have A 56 Plate Gp Sporting It Is The 130 I Have Remapped It And Now Produces 185bhp. Had No Problems With It In The Past 12 Months (20,000 Miles) But The Other Day As I Was Driving On The Motorway The Temp Gauge When To Max And It Said It Was Overheating. Rac Came And Had A Look And Tested The Engine Temp And Seem To Think It Is An Electrical Fault. Does Anyone Have Any Other Ideas? Also Fiat Are Now Looking At The Car Will They Reset My Ecu?

Back