General fiat punto cab

Currently reading:
General fiat punto cab

my girlfriend is looking at getting a punto soft top we have found a good deal and a great colour, apart from the obvious things like roof leaking etc.... what should i look for?

oh there is a small amount of rust just below the drivers door on the sill, the car is MOT till 01/2011 so this cant be a problem as it stands how much am a looking at to get this fixed?

Thanks in advanced :)

Fresh MOT so just check for oil leaks, signs of head gasket failure. If oil is very fresh beware! Coolant leak, although it can leak from the block so not be seen untill it's been running a while and doesn't drip as it evapourates first! Probably worrying you too much but that should be pretty much it! Everything an MOT doesn't check

Fresh MOT so just check for oil leaks, signs of head gasket failure. If oil is very fresh beware! Coolant leak, although it can leak from the block so not be seen untill it's been running a while and doesn't drip as it evapourates first! Probably worrying you too much but that should be pretty much it! Everything an MOT doesn't check

thanks alot :) leeks and stuff are always a worry lucky my girlfriend has a good mechanic so should issues like that arise then shouldn't be too much of a worry

does anyone know of any common issues with cabriolets? i'm guessing roof leaks are however looking at the car, roof looks good and no water stains etc... so no real signs of water getting in, plus the car is kept outside at the garage its been there for 3 months :)

Just to let you know, you don't get many people with them on here, So a reply from someone with one probably won't come! If it does by the time you get it the car will be gone! So long as the roof isn't leaking then anything else to look for is same as any other car! I think i remember reading a post on here that the corner on the passenger side with the windowscreen leaked. two people had the same leak anyways! May be worth a search!

just to add, there is a small crack in the back window (perspex) iv read that this can cost alot of money to replace as it is stitched in, how much are we looking at to get this fixed?

Being the 1.2 its the same engine as the sporting and elx...good lil engines and just keep going and starting every morning, if looked after :)

As said already, check all that you would normally look at. Find out when cambelt was last changed etc. Rear radius arms are a bit of a norm to go wrong, so see if there is any play in rear wheels, see if they sit straight when looking from rear end.

As for the roof, you can get replacement on ebay...think they were German listed last time I looked, or there are places like this (just quick google search, dunno what they are like) http://www.carhood.com/fiat.htm

Hi
I am that elusive other cabrio owner. I am not sure why you are advised to avoid the 1.6 as we have a 1995 1.6 which we have owned for 10 years. The only mechanical failures we have had have been from an aftermarket immobiliser and loose connection on the ignition switch. It has now covered 98,000 miles.
Be aware that most body panels are unique to the cabrio, with only the bonnet and front wings shared with other models.
Roof – look for short splits either side of the roof above the doors. This is caused by a malfunction of a roof bar when folding. If it does not retract to its correct position it traps the roof in a scissor movement. It is best to check the operation of this bar every time the roof is opened.
If it is the original Fiat roof, you may be able to replace a damaged perspex rear screen. Also check the stitching around the rear screen as it can rot with age. This will lead to leaks which will run into the boot. Check the boot floor for dampness and look in the spare wheel well where water will collect. Another indication of the stitching failing is that it affects the overall tension of the roofwhich will make closing it difficult as the locating pins at the front of the roof will not line up with the sockets.
If you do change the roof, I would recommend changing the sealing rubbers at the same time – they do not come as standard with a new roof. I re-used mine and now regret it as I have a small leak at the front nearside corner. If the front windows don’t quite seal with the roof don’t panic, they are adjustable. Remove the door trim to access the adjusters. Also make sure when you shut the doors that the rubber flaps over the front corners do not get trapped by the glass.
Finally, my advice would be: Go for it, it is great little car and you won’t regret it. You will be hard pushed to find another small (or medium) cabriolet which can seat four six foot adults in comfort and be such fun to drive! (y)
Chris.

Do check out that rust.
It might be nothing serious. But if its been repaired and bodged it might be serious corrosion. Have a careful prod at the rust with a screwdriver (with owners permission of course).

Hi get one i we have 3 2 1.6 which we have never had a problen with one has just done 100.000 miles took it to the south of france last summer flat out all the way ther and back no problem the 1.6 is solid
and the last one is a 1.4 turbo project to be finished very soon all of them are so much fun and lowered by 60mm they handel like a gocart:)

hi just the drivers side but found keeping the drain holes clean helps and i adjusted and sorted it thanks

there is a chap on ebay that sells hoods for these at around the £200 mark , which is cheaper than replacing the rear window i found. i have fitted one to my cabby and have had no problems.

Back