Technical Fiat Punto 97 1.7 TD - Just died on me...

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Punto 97 1.7 TD - Just died on me...

daveprince37

Hi all - New to the forum...

Working Tuesday night no problem - Wednesday morning - nothing at all...

Put key in - waited for heater plugs light to go off... Turned key to turn over and nothing - Have tried jump start, bump start and nothing... battery is fine... any ideas? Someone mention the inertia switch but where would that be in the model of punto?

cheers

Hello. and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

When you say there is nothing, does the engine turn over at all?? If not, it sounds like your starter motor may be stuck. Try giving the rear of the starter motor a tap with a hammer or such like whilst a mate turns the key.

Good luck,
Alan

Hello. and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

When you say there is nothing, does the engine turn over at all?? If not, it sounds like your starter motor may be stuck. Try giving the rear of the starter motor a tap with a hammer or such like whilst a mate turns the key.

Good luck,
Alan

i hate it when people say (there's just nothing) nothing what does it turn over or not

the cut off switch is next to the passengers side seat bear in mind this only cuts the fuel lift pump not the starter

Last edited:
thing is... there is literally nothing as it doesn't turn over at all...

Will try these thing tonight when I get home from work?

cheers

do the headlights work? If they do, see if they go dimmer when you turn the key to the starter position.
(get someone in front to watch)

do the headlights work? If they do, see if they go dimmer when you turn the key to the starter position.
(get someone in front to watch)

what's the point it wont tell you anything

test that there is a live to the small wire(trigger wire) heading to the starter motor when the key is turned to start

if there is see that there is no volt drop between this live and battery live

if there is no drop replace the starter motor

simple

if there is no live at the starter trigger wire check the brown wire in the ignition switch has live when the key is turned to start if it does not replace ignition switch if it does check wiring between there and the starter solonoid

Last edited:
what's the point it wont tell you anything

its a quick test for whether the starters jammed in mesh and drawing current.

However unlikely that may be, it can be done without tools quickly before moving on to further tests

Last edited:
Back