Technical Fiat petrol engines, not Suzuki?

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat petrol engines, not Suzuki?

Sank

Hello there!

Me and my girlfriend are looking to buy a new car that's not too expensive, has a bit of a high seat, and is somewhat nice to look at to boot. It's going to be the Sedici or the SX4, that much is clear now. I have one question I can't seem to properly resolve, however, and I was hoping that someone tech-savvy and well informed could help me further.

What I can find on the internet, and what the Fiat salesman (not a technician, that was clear) told us too, is that the petrol engines in the Sedici and the SX4 are from Suzuki, and the diesels are from Fiat, and for the rest the cars are identical. However, the Suzuki dealer, who seemed much more technically inclined, insisted that the entire mechanical part, the engine, the brakes, everything....is made by the individual companies. In other words, there's a Fiat petrol engine in the 1.6 Sedici, and a Suzuki petrol engine in the 1.6 SX4. Does anyone know if this is remotely possibly true? I haven't found any mention of it thus far, but the man was absolutely adamant. If it makes any difference - we're located in Germany.

Many thanks in advance!

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Sedici[/ame]

Based on that (and the fact that Fiat haven't made a 1.6 petrol since the '90's) the petrol is Suzuki, the Diesel is Fiat. Having driven a Punto with the 1.9 diesel engine I'd go with that personally, but it's your call :)

Hi Sank,
Not sure about this year's models but all previous Sedici & SX4 cars are fitted with either a Suzuki petrol 1.6 chain-cam or Fiat diesel 1.9JTD belt-cam (later models with DPF).
I have a 4x4 Fiat Sedici with a petrol 1.6 and the engine has Suzuki written all over it both literally and fuguratively.
See other posts on relative merits of these engines.
My 1.6 does 42mpg but has little power especially at low revs. Other posts note that the diesel version's economy is not much better (but a lot more power) and I find that surprising as I had a Marea Weekend with the 1.9 JTD that did 54 mpg.
Not all Sedicis and even less SX4s are 4x4s badging may be misleading so look underneath for a propshaft if you want a 4x4.
I really like my Sedici though......

Just on that point about the 4x4 or FWD models. I wanted to buy a second sedici as my company car goes back this month.

Turns out that until the new 2011 model year (new cars available about now) all Suzuki SX4 Deisels are FWD only... which I thought odd but there you are!

As regards MPG our 1.9 Multijet averages 42mpg (hasn't changed in over a year of mixed town and hill country driving) however on long motorway runs MPG is well into the fifties.

Thanks for the replies. :) We decided to go for the 1.6 petrol, the extra costs of the diesel models just didn't seem worth it. Picking it up tomorrow - highly, highly excited!

Back