General Fiat panda versus Suzuki wagon R

Currently reading:
General Fiat panda versus Suzuki wagon R

My girlfriends dad is selling his kia picanto to move back to a suzuki wagon R (r for retarded) if some epople in this section can come up with a better reason for buying a panda i might be able to get him to get a panda lol! Only reason at the minute is beacuse its cheaper and he likes the driving position in a suzuki. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

Jordan

the wagon R isnt built in Japan, its built in Hungary by Vauxhall (same as the Agila), so the reliability isnt brilliant. If its the 1.3 automatic, the gearboxes break very easily (a lug in the gearbox detaches so the gears strip themselves). Honest John (motoring writer for the Telegraph) said about the panda - "Very small. Very handy. A hoot to drive. Surprisingly refined. Excellent gearshift. Worthy Car of the Year winner"

Has he actually sat in the Wagon-R? The seats feel so cheap and are spongy as hell :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:. It would kill you after driving any distance. The car is cheaper because of the cheap meterials used. And as far as I remember, it's one of those cars with the indicators on the wrong side, so you'll be operating the wipers instead of indicating where you want to go :eek:.

The Wagon R is a hairdresser's car. How anybody can go out and buy one new is beyond me. It just goes to show that care in the community doesn't work. I would seriously consider changing your girlfriend (punto_jr). Just in case she has designs on you getting a Vauxhall Zafira or worse!

Now the Panda is a gem of a small car but I am biased having just taken delivery of my third one.

Not that i'm coming to Suzuki's defence, but did'nt i read that they are going to buy Multijet engine's for the Wagon R, Ignis and one other model.
Having had a Wagon R and an Ignis in the household, yep the Wagon R is not everyone's cup of tea, but the Ignis on the other hand is hard to beat. Had Suzuki been putting the Multijet engine in the Ignis when my wife changed cars i know there would have been an Ignis in the garage now and not the Panda.
I noticed someone had put in a price for the Panda Sporting RRP is £8995.

Ian

According to What Car, the 3 year/36000 mile cost of owning a wagon R is £8800 whereas a Panda Multijet is £7477. How they get to such a high figure, I have no idea! Still thats £8.50 every week.
Also, according to the JD Power survey, the Panda comes in at 5th out of 28 superminis, compared with 18/28 for the wagon R. This is based on overall customer satisfaction. The wagon R is rated as slightly more reliable than the Panda, but this is greatly outweighed by significantly lower running costs.

punto_jr_sx75 said:
Paul, i do beleive this kind of information could win this battle! thankyou very much!

I'll buy you a virtual drink!

Jordan
Awww pity I dont drink. I'm too mean, thats why I bought a Panda.
You may be interested to know that we are getting a genuine 65mpg from our multijet, and that includes about 17% of the miles towing a 250kg trailer. Mind you, the trip computer thinks we are doing 72.5! I hope to get that fixed shortly. To be fair, we do try to drive frugally, eg 60mph on dual carriageways.

Paul Jaggard said:
According to What Car, the 3 year/36000 mile cost of owning a ... Panda Multijet is £7477. How they get to such a high figure, I have no idea!
Approx:
£3000 fuel
£500 servicing
£4000 depreciation

That'd be my guess.
H

hmallett said:
Approx:
£3000 fuel
£500 servicing
£4000 depreciation

That'd be my guess.
H
Yes actually you're probably not that far off. In my quick calculation I costed in a gallon of diesel at 98p ! It should be something like--:
£2443 fuel
£100 road tax
£570 servicing
£732 insurance
£3854 depreciation based on their target price of £7137 x54% depreciation.
£7699 total. But I bought mine for £5995, £1142 below their target price, so thats
£6557total.
Based on their 3 yr cost of £7477 /36000 miles = 20.8p/mile
Based on my 3 yr cost of £6557 /36000 miles = 18.2p/mile
Yet what car quote in their tables 24.8p/mile, based on 36000/3yrs Depc, tax, maintenance & fuel, but not insurance. Am I missing something else?

Just to add to the above, according to ' 'What Car' , the cheapest new car to run for 3 yr/36000 miles is a Toyota Aygo 1.0VVT 3dr . However, based on similar calculations to the above, and based on the lowest current internet prices I could find (Panda multijet £6023, Aygo £6020) I reckon the Panda runs out cheaper at £6585 compared to the Aygo's £6605.
It would be nice to think that we were driving Britains most economical car based on overall costs, but I expect I've missed something!

Back