Technical Fiat panda starting issue.

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat panda starting issue.

panda27

I have just purchased a panda 2013 4x4 twin air with 37.000 miles.
The garage serviced, mot it and fitted a new clutch before I collected it. We drove it home and was great then my wife went out in it, when she went to start it it would not start unless she put it into first gear and clutch down. I tried it after she got home and it started with just the clutch down. It happened again today it would only start in first. I checked the clutch sensor and it looks ok, will it just need a neutral learn? Or is there anything else I should check before taking it back to the garage? I also noticed the stop start is not working but I will not use it anyway but might help with diagnosis.
Will snap on computer connect and fix the issue or would I be better purchasing something more fiat based for future use?
Thanks

I have just purchased a panda 2013 4x4 twin air with 37.000 miles.
The garage serviced, mot it and fitted a new clutch before I collected it. We drove it home and was great then my wife went out in it, when she went to start it it would not start unless she put it into first gear and clutch down. I tried it after she got home and it started with just the clutch down. It happened again today it would only start in first. I checked the clutch sensor and it looks ok, will it just need a neutral learn? Or is there anything else I should check before taking it back to the garage? I also noticed the stop start is not working but I will not use it anyway but might help with diagnosis.
Will snap on computer connect and fix the issue or would I be better purchasing something more fiat based for future use?
Thanks
Just take it back; they've messed up somewhere. 😐

Hi
I take it you mean it doesnt crank the engine..?

If its STILL TURNING OVER.. but not firing then DO check for the Immobiliser.

Either way it sounds a bit strange.. so do please keep us updated.
It lights up the ignition - warning lights etc but will not turn over even with clutch pressed then put it into first with clutch down and it fires straight up. I tried a short time later when she got home and it fired up normal for me.

It lights up the ignition - warning lights etc but will not turn over even with clutch pressed then put it into first with clutch down and it fires straight up. I tried a short time later when she got home and it fired up normal for me.
Hi,

Don't touch it yourself or you will void any warrantee you have with selling garage.

Very low miles for year and quite low for needing new clutch , but not unheard of.

Best wishes

Jack

yes agreed. This soon after purchase i would get in touch with the garage as they may be able to help over the phone as anything they suggest you do will be an instruction from them and therefore cannot void warranty.

I speculate here, as mine have all been diesel, and none has needed the clutch pedal pressed to start the car (although I always do as it's 'best practice')....

Does the TA engine normally have to have the clutch pressed to start? Is it possible that the gear lever position sensor (which is mounted alongside the shift cables just a short way down from the lever, inside the car) has moved out of place, so the car incorrectly thinks it's in neutral when the lever is moved to first? Will it let you operate the starter in any other gears? Does the 'change gear' (shift^) light come on on the dash if you don't change gear early enough, or if you hold a gear too long when slowing? That system uses the gear position sensor too.

But either way, talk to garage first as it's clearly a fault.

So you started it, or tried to start it without pressing the clutch down?
I thought that starting procedure of an engine is a basic procedure that every driving learner pupil is taught by the driving instructor. And the corect way to start the engine is to press the clutch before turning the ignition on. Because if you don't, the gear box shaft is being put in motion by the starter motor and that is just extra resistance by engine (more force required) and extra wear on starter motor.
The fact that your engine cranks on ignition only if you press the clutch might be a safety way to make sure the clutch is being pushed before ignition (one that I did not heard of but is very possible to be implemented).
Anyway, the colleagues above, gave you the best suggestion, to contact the seller if you have any questions, as the car is still under warranty.

I speculate here, as mine have all been diesel, and none has needed the clutch pedal pressed to start the car (although I always do as it's 'best practice')....

Does the TA engine normally have to have the clutch pressed to start? Is it possible that the gear lever position sensor (which is mounted alongside the shift cables just a short way down from the lever, inside the car) has moved out of place, so the car incorrectly thinks it's in neutral when the lever is moved to first? Will it let you operate the starter in any other gears? Does the 'change gear' (shift^) light come on on the dash if you don't change gear early enough, or if you hold a gear too long when slowing? That system uses the gear position sensor too.

But either way, talk to garage first as it's clearly a fault.
My TA 63 plate (4x4) doesn't require the clutch to be depressed to start; however, if the Stop Start is working and has stopped the engine pressing the clutch will restart it, also (learned while teaching number 1 daughter to drive) pressing the clutch after a driver initiated stall will also restart the engine. This must be initiated by the clutch pedal switch which I believe also affects engine management behaviour (throttle response). Therefore I'd guess there is an issue with this circuit jiggery pokery?

As I, and others have said, still take it back and don't mess with it! The Stop Start working or not (in my experience) depends heavily on the battery volts being up to scratch and (I suspect current drain in the moment). Also the voltage regulator on the negative post of the battery is worthy of a check.

Back