Technical fiat panda mk3 brake fluid reservoir cap diameter?

Currently reading:
Technical fiat panda mk3 brake fluid reservoir cap diameter?

Robjohnjones

Hi good people.

Does anyone please know the fiat panda mk3 brake fluid reservoir cap diameter?

I'm looking to buy a pressure bleeding system and need to know the cap size so I make sure I get the right one.

Wouldn't be 45mm by any chance?

Many thanks in advance.

Buy one of these, file the top smooth and fit a tyre valve without the core.

Screw in tyre valve

Use an inner tube to give consistent but not excessive pressure. The second valve can go into the inner tube (for pumping up).

I bleed my brakes the old way using a stick to hold the pedal down and some thick packing card to protect the seat cushion. It means more walking back & forth but Im not doing it every day.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Been out with a vernier caliper this morning and it does indeed appear to be a 45mm cap, so the bleeding kit I've selected should work.

Buy one of these, file the top smooth and fit a tyre valve without the core.

Screw in tyre valve

Use an inner tube to give consistent but not excessive pressure. The second valve can go into the inner tube (for pumping up).

I bleed my brakes the old way using a stick to hold the pedal down and some thick packing card to protect the seat cushion. It means more walking back & forth but Im not doing it every day.
Fair one. Yeah that's a totally fine way to bleed the brakes.

The pressure bleeding kit is only £30, the cap size on the Panda from measuring with my vernier caliper appears to be 45mm, and I really want to flush the system, when I changed and bleed one of the slave cylinders, the brake fluid was black, so at this point it's a flush the system job I think.

I've no idea what a garage would charge to flush the brake fluid, more than £30 I'm sure. Like yourself I don't have anyone to help me with the job, short of paying someone, so at this point spending the money on the tools to do the job makes sense.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I was going to measure mine when the car got here but you have already done that

As far as I remember the eezibleed does not come with the correct cap for most European cars

But the sealey version does fits most European cars out of the box

You need to remove as much brake fluid from the reservoir and top up with clean first. No point in pumping dirty into the master cylinder more than you have to. Turkey baster works well

You will have to reduce the pressure in the spare tyre, being a space saver it does not have much volume so may need pumping up a bit during the bkeeding

I have one, never had a problem with it, but there has been some rare issues with master cylinder seals. Been a long time since I have used it.. From memory I used 10 psi instead of the recommended

If I was to buy a bleed kit again I would go for the vacuum type. They are around £15 no caps to mess with, no spare tyre to mess with,.if you grease the bleed nipple threads first they are very reliable. It can also be used to test some sensors also.

Most cars I do now via the OBDII port. Just plug in press a button and open and close each nipple as direct on the screen, this way refreshes the fluid held inside the Abs module.

I don't use multiecuscan any more so not sure if it's an option. A quick Google didn't help but it an option on some model's

abs2.jpg

It's exactly that one I just bought lol
Yay (y) It should not need a modified reservoir cap. BTW, have you seen what Sealey charge for their fancy caps?

Let us know how it goes.

Edit - At that price it's probably got stiff nylon tubing. Replace with silicone rubber tube.

Last edited:
Yay (y) It should not need a modified reservoir cap. BTW, have you seen what Sealey charge for their fancy caps?

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks, will do. I hope to hit the bleeding job the weekend, I've got to go back into brake shoes as well, changed those yesterday and really, the adjusters were toast. 19 years of not having silicone grease applied when it should have been.

To be honest most drum brakes are toast at that age. At least Panda parts are cheap.

Scratch that. There are no adjuster sets by UK sellers. But I have found Lithuania sellers to be efficient and they often hold stock over here.

If your metal brake pipe and/or rubber hoses are getting old, replace with HEL braided lines from the underfloor joint to the brake. They come with barrel grommets that are ideal for P clips but you can use zip ties as a semi-permanent attachment. Used just at the back will not affect the brake pedal feel. Used all round gives the hard brake feel of mountain bike and motorbike brakes.

Last edited:
I just search for

Pagid pre assembled Brake Shoe fiat panda

One of the first hits is euro car parts in stock
Ah cheers, I've managed to find the adjusters on eBay and ordered them. I've had a tonne of trouble getting the right parts, because the last bloke who had the car saved it from the scrap yard by replacing a rotted out axle. Had two incorrect sets of brake shoes before I twigged and got the right ones.

The axle now fitted on my car has the ABS compatible setup on it, luckily again having been in at the shoes twice now, I was able to eyeball the correct adjusters and order them that way.

Now I'm just working through all the iffy stuff the last bloke who had the car did or didn't do, bloody mess some stuff.

Had 180 Punto wheels on it when I got it that were rubbing, as a 165 is as wide as you can go on the Panda's. That was a rather expensive trip to the scrappy.

There's been other things and I am sure I will find more as I go along....

It's nearly always cheaper to order as a set

Yours would always have had abs I would think.its a big job to retro fit

Only the 2003 possibly 2004 1.1 active came from factory without Abs (bendex system) even then it was an optional extra that most people took

99% of cars with drums will run the Bosch system

So much so I just order a full set without looking now

Too late now

This set is £66

thumb.jpeg

I always fit new adjusters now

The bimetallic stip is almost always past it's best and sometimes fall off shortly after fitting new shoes

The ABS sensor is set on the axle with a magnetic disc on the inner side of the hub/wheel bearing. The brake and back plate are removable without touching the ABS.

It's nearly always cheaper to order as a set

Yours would always have had abs I would think.its a big job to retro fit

Only the 2003 possibly 2004 1.1 active came from factory without Abs (bendex system) even then it was an optional extra that most people took

99% of cars with drums will run the Bosch system

So much so I just order a full set without looking now

Too late now

This set is £66

View attachment 424429
I always fit new adjusters now

The bimetallic stip is almost always past it's best and sometimes fall off shortly after fitting new shoes
Cool. I've just fitted the new self adjusters and my back brakes are brilliant now. Nah this one defiantly doesn't have ABS, the last guy who had the car had to put a new axle on the car, must have been from one with ABS. It was an option up until 2005, all Panda's from 2005 on have ABS fitted standard I understand. That's a good price yes, I think I'm pretty sorted now. May have to do a slave cylinder at some point but for now it's okay.

Thanks again to all for the help!

To fit abs to a car that didnt

Would require a lot of work

Abs module
Brake master
Brake servo
Body computer (likely)
Dash (possibly 50/50)
ECU (probably not 80/20)
Pipes from abs to master
Pipes from abs to front
Pipes from abs to rear
Disconnect Grearbox speed controler
4x wheel hubs
4x wheel bearings
4x abs sensors
4x wiring to Abs
2x drums
2x handbrake cables

Might have made some mistakes haven't thought about it too carefully

But pretty much every mechanical, hydraulic and electrical parts will need changing

It's been law since mid 2004 that new cars sold in the UK have Abs fitted

As far as I know only the early 1.1 active didn't but was a cost option,

To fit abs to a car that didnt

Would require a lot of work

Abs module
Brake master
Brake servo
Body computer (likely)
Dash (possibly 50/50)
ECU (probably not 80/20)
Pipes from abs to master
Pipes from abs to front
Pipes from abs to rear
Disconnect Grearbox speed controler
4x wheel hubs
4x wheel bearings
4x abs sensors
4x wiring to Abs
2x drums
2x handbrake cables

Might have made some mistakes haven't thought about it too carefully

But pretty much every mechanical, hydraulic and electrical parts will need changing

It's been law since mid 2004 that new cars sold in the UK have Abs fitted

As far as I know only the early 1.1 active didn't but was a cost option,
Apologies, what I meant was only the type of brake shoes, adjusters and so on are from an ABS car, they work fine without the rest of the ABS system. I'm guessing the back plate is also different, as the shoes as secured by the pins in different places on ABS and none ABS. Just the axle from an ABS car, and with it came the Bosch brakes.

Back