General Fiat panda 750

Currently reading:
General Fiat panda 750

As said, don't fall for all the bullsh!t cheap crap that make big claims but deliver sod all. Thankfully those magical 20bhp overfuelling resistors are yesterday's news.

There was a good letter in Honest John's column in Saturday's Telegraph detailing fuel economy of a 406 coupé (think it was a 2.0 petrol). Almost 40mpg with smooth driving and minimal use of the brakes. His wife couldn't get anywhere near because she used the brakes too much.

There's thousands of articles around detailing how to improve MPG - it's probably taken many people until £1.20 a litre to notice their driving isn't up to scratch.

Very much so!

There was a good letter in Honest John's column in Saturday's Telegraph detailing fuel economy of a 406 coupé (think it was a 2.0 petrol). Almost 40mpg with smooth driving and minimal use of the brakes. His wife couldn't get anywhere near because she used the brakes too much.

There's thousands of articles around detailing how to improve MPG - it's probably taken many people until £1.20 a litre to notice their driving isn't up to scratch.

It's like the XM I've got now... it's a 2.0 petrol but weighs just the same as a new golf even thou it's 2 or 3 sizes up so getting 33-34mpg from it in day to day driving is no problem as long as your smooth :D

Jim

Just thought of something I'd like to add and that's speed. I always used to sit around 80 or so (indicated) on the motorway and thought economy was fine, but if you peel back to bang on 70 (so an actual road speed of, say 65) fuel will go a lot further. Something like a 20% increase in consumption to do 80 instead of 70 if I remember correctly. Just make sure you don't leave late. ;)

Just thought of something I'd like to add and that's speed. I always used to sit around 80 or so (indicated) on the motorway and thought economy was fine, but if you peel back to bang on 70 (so an actual road speed of, say 65) fuel will go a lot further. Something like a 20% increase in consumption to do 80 instead of 70 if I remember correctly. Just make sure you don't leave late. ;)

I find bombing along at 80+ in the Selecta, and its scary how easily she does it = around 34MPG, so not dissimilar to around town and my main average, but stick to 50-60 and MPG goes to a whooping 50+MPG:eek:, so needless to say on long journeys I now drive like an OAP and stick to 50-60!

What do people average out of a Selecta? One of those would be perfect for the missus.

My Citroen BX TZD Turbo does over 50mpg seemlingly whether its sat at 90mph or pootling along at 50. The missus has got a BX 1.6 petrol auto which is horrendous! Averages sub 25mpg!

I've recently sold my Citroen XM V6 auto which was more economical than the BX auto!

Just a few quick questions, But I have a dying urge to have them answered. =P
A. What is the MPG on them
B. Any idea on the 0-60?
C. (Stupid question) Is the insurance cheaper than on the 1.0L?
D. How difficult are the engines to work on?
E. Is there a FIRE 750?

Just going back to this, here's my tuppence worth...

A. 36 -38 Mpg
B. Faster than my mates 2CV
C. Seeming not for me
D. Really easy
E. The engine is just soooo sweet, like it's just like a little turbine and it just spins and spins. Love it! (y)

Just a 999cc panda will be more econimical thou and will have 5 gears (probably)

Jim

What do people average out of a Selecta? One of those would be perfect for the missus.

My Citroen BX TZD Turbo does over 50mpg seemlingly whether its sat at 90mph or pootling along at 50. The missus has got a BX 1.6 petrol auto which is horrendous! Averages sub 25mpg!

I've recently sold my Citroen XM V6 auto which was more economical than the BX auto!

I average 35MPG but that's with a heavy right foot, and a mixture of around town, dual carrage way and country road, but as I've said the best I've had is 51.90 MPG sticking between 50-60MPH on the way to London, and this was with so urban driving around south London, so if I just measured it on the motorway I wouldn't have been surprised to see 55MPG+:eek:(y)

Just going back to this, here's my tuppence worth...

A. 36 -38 Mpg
B. Faster than my mates 2CV
C. Seeming not for me
D. Really easy
E. The engine is just soooo sweet, like it's just like a little turbine and it just spins and spins. Love it! (y)

Just a 999cc panda will be more econimical thou and will have 5 gears (probably)

Jim

There were some later 5 speed 769cc's, and I've yet to get my hands on one:yum:.

I had one called Lloyd but they only made them in 91/92 so they're really hard to get the hold off....

Jim

Thanks for the Dates. I knew they were fairly hard to get, I can see why now:p

They're bound to be more economical at speed, but out of interest, what were they like around town, were the lower gear ratio as good at the low gears on the 4 speed 750's or were they all set for ecconomy?

Jon.

It's not hard at all, removing the gearbox is a lot easier than you would think plus it gives more experience on working on the Panda. Last time it took me 1.5 hrs to drop the 4x4 gearbox which has more bit's to disconnect than the 2wd. If you decide to give it a try I will help as much as you need....;)

It's not hard at all, removing the gearbox is a lot easier than you would think plus it gives more experience on working on the Panda. Last time it took me 1.5 hrs to drop the 4x4 gearbox which has more bit's to disconnect than the 2wd. If you decide to give it a try I will help as much as you need....;)

Is it worth me trying to drop the one out of the donor 750L in the drive for practise:rolleyes:

Can do but if you drop the box you will have to support the engine as there are two gearbox mounts and only one engine mount so when you remove the gearbox......yep you guessed it the engine is only held in one place and will drop unless supported. Or you remove the lot engine and box.

Last edited:
Can do but if you drop the box you will have to support the engine as there are two gearbox mounts and only one engine mount so when you remove the gearbox......yep you guessed it the engine is only held in one place and will drop unless supported. Or you remove the lot engine and box.

:rolleyes: Might have a play one afternoon then. Engine is us'ed and its all only going to the scrappy anyway(y)

Back