Panda 2012+ Fiat Panda 4x4

Currently reading:
Panda 2012+ Fiat Panda 4x4

gouldianmax

Hi all i have just signed up.Hoping to pick your brains about my recently acquired 2013 fiat panda 4x4.

regards

Gordon

Thanks very much. Is there anyone in the north east area, around Sunderland etc. on here please? Someone with any experience of a rattle on a 2013 fiat panda 4x4, that i could possibly meet with and let them hear the noise? I have a rattle when first pulling away and slowing down, it doesnt get louder with increased speed, sounds like a heat shield rattle, but cannot find it. Been to Richard Hardie the local Fiat dealer but they cannot find the source.

regards

Gordon

Not me, whilst I know the area well, I'm now located on the south coast.

If you're tech savvy, you could video it and share a YouTube link of your sound?

If you could start by giving us an idea of your engine, Twinair or 1.3 MJ diesel, what sort of mileage it's covered and if you can determine rough area it's coming from, under bonnet, rear of the car, centre etc. Is it just when under load or can you achieve the same when revving it whilst stationary.

Also, you mention that you've just bought the car, did you buy privately, or from trade as you might be able to fire it back to them if you've any sort of warranty.

Last edited:
Hi i bought it privately. I have checked all the noises out after scouring this forum, but cannot find it. It seems to be from rear end of car just when pulling away and when slowing down only. Car is a .9 twin-air fiat panda 4x4 with 90k miles and has just had a full service from fiat dealer, new cat fitted and new exhaust and rear shocks. Fiat dealer checked out all of car for any play in steering, braking, suspension, running gear etc. but cannot find rattle. Car goes well and steers and handles well, and i know they have a relatively loud engine noise, but rattle is irritating. Its hard to explain the noise thats why i just wondered if anyone local on here could listen to it in person.

That's alright, the TwinAir by nature is a bit of a noisy beast if you're used to normal quiet 5-pot motors.

Hopefully someone local to you can come out and have a look for you.

The most likely thing are indeed heat shields and loose exhaust baffles. baffles are annoying but not immediately urgent. heat shields cost an arm and a leg. i have repaired many with reinforcement made from several layers of aluminium baking tray. best check, as once its fallen off options are limited. Good luck

Hi the spare wheel is tightened down with no rattles coming from inside boot. Exhaust is new. I feel it is a heat shield somewhere but cannot find anything loose under the car.

Hi the spare wheel is tightened down with no rattles coming from inside boot. Exhaust is new. I feel it is a heat shield somewhere but cannot find anything loose under the car.

There are several heat shields at the back of the 4x4 - but I suspect you'll already have found them! Even if not loose, if the car's been off-road at all, its possible one is bent slightly or has a stone trapped in/on/under it somewhere!

Another possibility, given you mention is happens when pulling away or slowing down again is the rubber 'doughnut' that supports the centre bearing of the prop shaft. This is 'hidden' in the cage that protects the prop shaft centre universal joint: the rubber ring tends to perish. At 90k miles, that would certainly be worth looking at - although I'd hope that Richard Hardie had a good look here.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for that. I have checked all the heat shields, but did not know about the the other bit, i will get it checked out.

Thanks very much for that. I have checked all the heat shields, but did not know about the the other bit, i will get it checked out.

To give you a clue as to what you're looking for, this link is for a complete replacement prop shaft (and at a very good price). Half way along is a metal bracket that the shaft passes through (looks like the Greek letter Omega). Between the outer ring of that support and the bearing race the prop shaft itself is supported by is a rubber ring. This tends to wear and eventually the rubber breaks through. You can see it more clearly in the second and third images https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174916903976?fits=Car+Make:Fiat&hash=item28b9dc2428:g:zBgAAOSwks1hLMFw

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thanks for that, the fiat dealer checked propshaft etc. and said there was no evident play. It could be a trapped stone or stones under a heat shield as you suggested ealier.

Back