Technical Fiat Panda 2009 Dynamic - Wheel noise

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Panda 2009 Dynamic - Wheel noise

petebarchetta

Hi All, Owner of a 2009 (59) plate fiat panda. Recently it has developed a click / clack noise. initially i put it down to something being loose (obviously) took wheel off and nothing in wheel well looked out of place. Noise happens when wheel hits something in road, raised or dipped. Does exhibit with wheels under breaking, so that rules out brake pads, all suspension components look fine, nothing is loose.
Any ideas?

Hi All, Owner of a 2009 (59) plate fiat panda. Recently it has developed a click / clack noise. initially i put it down to something being loose (obviously) took wheel off and nothing in wheel well looked out of place. Noise happens when wheel hits something in road, raised or dipped. Does exhibit with wheels under breaking, so that rules out brake pads, all suspension components look fine, nothing is loose.
Any ideas?
I agree with Marcus Daley but...

All the front suspension is effectively the same.
1. Check that the springs are all still present and correct and that there are no bits broken off.
2. I have had a similar noise after doing the front suspension and boy did it drive me mad. Eventually I removed both sides again and put the noise down to misalignment of the top bushes which were only very slightly misaligned but this seemed to catch small stones that caused the cracking as I went over bumps. The car drove fine but made this noise that sounded similar to what you describe. When you look at the suspension check that the lower spring cups are correctly positioned. After disassembly and reassembly and removal of several pieces of gravel from around the top mounting normal service was restored.
3. Drop links can cause a cracking / knocking and can fail quite quickly this is however a persistent knocking rattling thats pretty much continuous.
4. Knackered drivehsaft joints will cause a knocking most obvious when turning sharply as in say a U turn.

The top mounts are my first recommendation. These have a ball bearing race to allow the steering to turn allowing the strut to twist. The top mounts are a rubber coated things that locate the stuts in the wheel arch stones would cause damage quite quickly. If the rubber fails hey presto cracking over bumps. You do need to really remove the struts and check condition this is 40 minutes a side with the right tools. You do need an impact socket gun unless you like prolonged pain and suffering.

I sorted out the offside and was telling myself how clever I was and the near side did the same thing. Since the last rebuild 2 years ago (no additional parts fitted) - no more trouble. If buying top mounts my advice would be Febi Bilsein or Blueprint.com as these are really the best quality parts available. There are loads of stones and grit around at the moment due to the dry weather. ALso check the strut dust gaiter and bump stops are properly in position. One of these disintegrated and also caused cracking noises of a similar kind. I found it hard to believe a block of soft rubber could cause such a harsh crack! All the pattern gaiters I tried did not fit properly so this was sourced from Fiat in the end.

Finally do check there are no cracks in the suspension arms but I suspect this sounds exactly like my problem. Hope it helps

Last edited:
Try and find out where the noise is coming from

Find out if it’s from the near side or far side. Is it louder with the passengers window open or drivers

You could get a passenger to safely stick their head out of each rear window

Stand by one of the front doors. Push at the top and let go then time the next push like a swing the moment builds can you replicate the noise

My money would be if it’s a light tapping noise the drop links

Loud thud the lower arms

But you really need to replicate the noise or see the play before wildly changing parts

Yes you can get lucky. But these cars are cheap as chip if you only change what’s worn or broken

I have recently had the brake calipers and hubs off both sides to do the clutch. The RHS brake disc is looks OK when you remove the wheel but is a right old mess on the inside. When I first drove the car, the grinding from the nearside wheel was awful. The pads eventually settled and the noise stopped. Obviously the lot has to be replaced. I've got an axle set of discs and pads on order.

Maybe the OP's noise is due to uneven wear on non disc. Check the discs for grooving and rust pitting. Replace if necessary. Parts cost about £30.

Back